Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

Interior stone veneer fireplace: what should I do at drywall?

I could use some advice here, as this is my first time working with stone on a vertical. I have installed a new direct vent gas fireplace and am in the process of putting up a stone veneer surround. My question is about the place where the stone meets the drywall. The stone corner pieces will meet the drywall at a right angle. Should I run the stone up to the drywall, or run it past the drywall? Pictures below, if I can get it to work.

If I run the stone up to the drywall, then the gap to fill will be smaller (since the cut edge of the stone will meet the relatively flat drywall). If I run the stone past the drywall, or think of it as the drywall butting against the face of the stone, the gap will be larger due to the uneven stone surface.

Generally it seems a smaller gap is better. However, if the stone goes past the drywall it is more likely to look like the stone is part of an actual chimney which extends outside, past the wall, and not just a veneer. I am concerned that the situation with the smaller gap will "telegraph" that the stone is just a veneer.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Interior stone veneer fireplace: what should I do at drywall?-uploadfromtaptalk1397232584892.jpg

Interior stone veneer fireplace: what should I do at drywall?-uploadfromtaptalk1397232602253.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ScooberJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

I would cut the stone to sit flush against the drywall.No gaps and nothing to scribe.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

The drywall can be scribed and cut with an oscillating saw so it's a nice tight fit.
Just thinking drywalls easier to cut then stone.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

Good point.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I would cut the stone to sit flush against the drywall.No gaps and nothing to scribe.
Thanks for the reply. So if I do it that way, is there anything I can do to make it not look like just a facade? Or do you not think that will be an issue?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The drywall can be scribed and cut with an oscillating saw so it's a nice tight fit.
Just thinking drywalls easier to cut then stone.
Thanks. I guess that would just require cutting back the drywall to the next stud, scribing and installing new drywall, then finishing the new drywall joints and texture. If that's the best way I suppose I will do it, but I am terrible with drywall.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

No offense, but you've installed a "fake" fireplace, and you're worrying about a very trivial detail IMO. Do you plan on having a return into the front of the fireplace unit to make it look real as well? If not, I certainly wouldn't worry about how it intersects with the drywall..............

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote