Installing Fake Stone Behind Pellet Stove - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing Fake Stone behind Pellet Stove

My husband is installing a "stone wall" surrounding the back of the new pellet stove. He built up a one inch air gap with sheet metal and then put on 1/2" cement board to put the fake stones on-the ones that are flat on one side. He is using type S mortor but is having trouble with the stones sticking. Are we using the right type of mortor or is he not applying enough on the stones? They seem to be slipping. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

jverdugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jverdugo View Post
My husband is installing a "stone wall" surrounding the back of the new pellet stove. He built up a one inch air gap with sheet metal and then put on 1/2" cement board to put the fake stones on-the ones that are flat on one side. He is using type S mortor but is having trouble with the stones sticking. Are we using the right type of mortor or is he not applying enough on the stones? They seem to be slipping. Any suggestions?

When i had that problem,i added a 2lb.coffee can of portland cement to a bag of mortar mix and it did the trick.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,208

Sounds like either the mortar is too thin or doesn't have enough lime in it. Though it costs a bit more, for a job this small I'd buy a bag or two of stone veneer mortar. Home Depot sells it; probably Lowe's too.

Having done several tile floors and a couple of veneer stone walls, I can say that mixing mortar is something you have to develop a "feel" for. And mixing it is a whole lot easier if you use a mixing paddle and drill.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 10-31-2012 at 09:09 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Tile backer board is typically too dense and smooth for the weight of cultured stone. You could try adding a few ounces of bonding agent to each batch of mud, or better yet, apply a rough plaster coat to the backer board first, and let it dry overnight. Just about any thinset, or even a slurry of the Type S mixed with a heavy amount of bonding agent will work. There should be no need to alter the mortar, Type S has more then enough cementicious material in it to bond to the correct substrate...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,208

What jomama is talking about is called a scratch coat. You apply a thin layer to the backer board and then scratch grooves in it with a special tool.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote