Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Share |

installing decorative stone

About a month ago i installed a pellet stove in my house. i built a tile hearth for it to stand on. Today i was doing some shopping and i found a CRAZY good deal on decorative stone. i got stone for $1.25 a sqft that is typically $6-10 a sqft. Now i've installed the stacked stone that did not need grout between the joints and i just installed them with PL premium on drywall and on cement board. The walls where i will be installing the decorative stone is 1/2" T&G cedar. can i just glue on the stone or should put up cement board? what about that metal lath, do i need that? The stone i got needs to be grouted. also i have 2 outlets on the walls. How should i cut around them or do they make box extensions for the boxes that large? the stone i say varies frm 1-3" think.

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

fire code's more important than anything but, assuming you complied to it, i'd 1st attach expanded wire mesh,,, cutting around the elec boxes is easily done w/4" grinder & dia blade,,, box extensions are a good idea

all stone is decorative - we just like some better'n others

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

i had the stove wett certified and im well past my min. distance which is 6" from the wall and im 9" i made sure i had lots of room cause i planned on putting stone. Im putting it up purely for a decorative purpose but it'll also be a fire barrier as well.
i'm wondering if i should cut the cedar out and replace with cement board or just screw the lath right to the cedar. and for the outlets i know i can cut around them with a grinder but i dont want it to be a hole in the wall. i want it to be somewhat flush with the stone. i've used box extensions when replacing paneling with drywall but i dont think those extensions are large enough to get out flush with the stone.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #4

Cutting out the Cedar and installing cement board certainly be the best way to accomplish what you want to do and provide even more fireproofing to the areas in close proximity to the stove. Another question would be how close to the stove is the outlet you are talking about? There could be a possible concern for plastic cover plate or outlet itself if exposed to high heat over a long period of time.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #5

' wett certified ' is a canadian org [http://www.wettinc.ca/ ], not a typo,,, iirc, pellet stoves burn @ a low temp compared to the avg wood stove so the 6" distance must be acceptable.

grinder's for stone,,, wood blade's a potentially dangerous combo imo

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 12-23-2013 at 03:17 AM.
itsreallyconc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

If you plan on grouting the joints, I would not recommend gluing with a PL, etc. Those types of adhesives flex more than mortar. If the back of the stones is fairly flat, you could use a good modified thinset to adhere them, but you'll still need either "scratched" lath or cement board first. Taking the cedar out depends on the situation.

Recepticle blocks:

http://www.dutchqualitystone.com/cat...ility-accents/
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #7

my stove is fully certified and 6" is the min that it says on the stove. The plugs are roughly 4' from the stove and the pellet stove doesnt heat up like a regular wood stove. i think i'll cut cedar at the edge of where the stone will end on the walls. i'll screw on the metal lath and scratch coat it and use a thinset mortar to adhere the stone. i'm cutting the cedar up to where the stone goes incase theres ever an issue with the cedar and i need to replace a piece so i dont have to try and cut at the stone after or pull it out from behind.