Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Share |

Installing Concrete Channel Drain

Hi,

This is my first post here. I am installing a concrete channel drain across my 12' wide driveway. The Channel drains come in 4' wide sections (so I have 3 of them). And they are about 9" wide and 7" tall. Quite heavy! The ends are perfectly flat and smooth (No slots or anything). I have to join these 3 pieces side by side. How do I join them together given that water will be flowing across them? Is there some kind of special construction adhesive for concrete? Or do I leave a gap of may be 1/2" between the segments and then fill it with concrete (and of course shape it and smooth it to the same interior channel profile)? What ever the solution it will have to be:

a) Strong so that it will not deteriorate over time as cars pass over the drain
b) Smooth and impermeable to water as if the 12' stretch is one continuous channel (No bumps to obstruct the water flow etc.)

Does any one have experience with this situation? Thanks.

Last edited by DIYERINCANADA; 06-29-2013 at 12:22 AM.
DIYERINCANADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #2

welcome aboard ! the 1st thing to do is ' rtfm ! ' ( read the fu***** manual ! ) for canadians, that means reading directions but you're a guy just like most of us,,, ' what directions ? i don' need no steenking directions ! '

those things usually slide together easily so there might be some burrs or casting boogers yet holding 'em apart - clean those up,,, guessing you bought hdpe & not cast iron slot drains

NO conc in the channel - EVER ! don't worry if the drain's not watertight as long as the drainage flows correctly,,, the biggest issue's holding them in place while placing conc back around 'em sometimes they want to move so stake 'em in right

good luck !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply. Of course the channels will have a 1% grade from left to right so the water flows. If you simply 'butt them up' as it were with no adhesive of any kind, isn't there a risk of water seeping through the joint crack? If so won't that do some damage in the long run?

Also the grates are in fact cast iron.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Here's an alternative connection method if your stuff truly gives no way to slide them together. Maybe they left out some parts in the kit?
Attached Images

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. My channels are in fact plain and old fashioned concrete. The picture you posted shows the plastic channels and yes they do have slots and end caps and all that. But they are rated only for light vehicles. They are not really rated for say a heavy delivery truck etc. Although there are heavier duty polymer channels as strong as concrete that can take the load they are way more expensive than concrete (which is why I decided to go with concrete).
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Maybe stick 'em together with that epoxy that comes in "caulking" type tubes? That's some mean stuff.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

wasn't even aware anyone had conc channel / sl'ot drains to sell,,, the only ones i ever saw were cast-in-place,,, can you post a pic/link ?

they may have been rccp ( reinforced cement concrete pipe ) @ 1 time which uses a neoprene gasket in the bell end & someone slic'd 'em in 1/2

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #8

We just cast our's in place with a lip and use expanded metal on top.

http://www.nilesexpandedmetals.com/nem/grating.asp
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #9

Hi, here is the picture of the three 4' segments. So is there some special sealant / adhesive that you could use (that won't break down over time)? What is the trick...LOL? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Concrete Channel Drain-dsc03030.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYERINCANADA View Post
Hi, here is the picture of the three 4' segments. So is there some special sealant / adhesive that you could use (that won't break down over time)? What is the trick...LOL? Thanks.

Only way i see there is to epoxy in place.

You could also query the manufacturer.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #11

I've put in similar trench drains- but they were a composite material and use an epoxy to seal the joints. Each end had grooves or rabbits to receive the end cap or the next section.

We would string a line from side to side on the forms- this gave us a straight line.
We would wet set the sections into a few shovel fulls of concrete to hold the drain straight and to grade- laser helps.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #12

neat stuff,,, extruded conc channel/slot drains sliced w/diamond saw to length,,, i like 'em probably fairly expensive compared to the 4" stuff @ the apron/vest stores, tho.

set them on the right grade - align them horizontally & vertically - run a bead of 100% silicone at the junction,,,
contrary to my colleagues, i wouldn't choose epoxy 1, too much difference in short hardness; 2, surface isn't prepp'd for epoxy; & 3 - expansion/contraction differential's too great for the application,,, go get an adult beverage whilst congratulating yourself on a job well done.

i'm jealous as we can't find 'em down here in atlanta

Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #13

Just ordinary Silicon? or is there an extra strength outdoors type of silicon? What it be like in terms of durability over the years?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #14

100% dow-corning silicon,,, reseal in 7 yrs ( anticipated/expected life of sealant when we seal jnts in conc hgwys

Tags
adhesives, concrete, drain conduit, trench drain