Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing brick wall in back of garage HELP

Hey guys. I bought a new house 3yrs ago and finally getting around to getting my garage closer to where I want it to be. I'm getting ready to install a rear entry door and window in the back wall. When this is finished and insulated, I really want to install a brick face wall for the whole back of the garage (20ft x 9ft). My problem is where to start. I was looking at the thin brick veneer you can get but from what i'm seeing its just way too expensive when I can get brick almost for free on Craigslist or from other projects my father does (contractor).

So being I do realize that working with thin brick would be easier, its expensive and i'm trying to do the best I can with what resources I have- I'm wondering if you can cut brick long ways in half, and then use the better face of each half? Then install against either unfinished drywall or cement board? Am i dreaming? Suggestions?

ProjectADD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Instead of cutting all the bricks down the middle, wouldn't it be easier just to lay them properly, as they are?

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #3

Yea thats kinda what I'm getting at. Im not familiar with masonry and not sure what the pro's and con's are if any. I'd obviously need less brick if I cut in half - also thinking that I could rely less on stacking and the half pieces would stick to whatever grout I applied to the existing wall- but then again, I really have no idea - I've been around carpentry my whole life but havent messed with brick.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

I doubt you can stick half, or whole bricks to the wall without something supporting them from the bottom, such as an angle iron fastened to the concrete foundation. There should also be an air space between any wooden wall and the bricks.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

You can stick anything you want on a stud wall, provided that it meets the following:

14# or less per Square Foot.

There is a backup that can hold the shear strength.

Sheetrock will not, you will need 1/4" hardibacker screwed to the studs over the sheetrock at a minimum for 3/8" brick faces. As for cutting them in half, no. That works for floors, not walls.

You can buy cheap brick and cut them your self. A saw rental is about 100 bucks a day, and if you are enthusiastic you can easily cut a thousand faces a day. Note that some brick are double sided, some are single sided, so plan according to your selection.
ProjectADD (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Thanks T,

I get the backer portion - makes perfect sense. But you stated as for cutting them in half no, but then said I can cut them myself if I rented a saw- can you clarify on that?

I would not have a problem putting in the time to cut the faces if it meant it was the "better" thing to do visually/functionally rather than going full brick. I'm always all for doing it the right way as opposed to the "easier" way. Not sure if there are any pro's or con's. I do have access to a tile saw - I'd have to check and see what kind of depth I could get on it.

The foundation protrudes out from the studs about 4-5". Trying to figure out how to get a pic uploaded from work. Wants a http:// address.... I'm almost positive that the frame of the back wall is flush with the foundation. Meaning, its still raised up about 6" or so, but the frame is flush with the foundation itself. So would I just start on the floor and work my way up? Again, working on the pic.. but please elaborate on the cutting! Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectADD View Post
Thanks T,

I get the backer portion - makes perfect sense. But you stated as for cutting them in half no, but then said I can cut them myself if I rented a saw- can you clarify on that?

What he means (I believe) is that you don't cut them in half, but rather you cut them at about 1/2" thick to keep the installed weight below 14#'s per sq. foot.

I would not have a problem putting in the time typiclly only get to cut the faces if it meant it was the "better" thing to do visually/functionally rather than going full brick.

I can't think of how thin/adhered brick would be better, they typicaly only get used when there is no ledge.

I'm always all for doing it the right way as opposed to the "easier" way. Not sure if there are any pro's or con's. I do have access to a tile saw - I'd have to check and see what kind of depth I could get on it.

You're going to spend a ton of time with a tile saw sawing faces. Keep in mind the brick is full material 1/2" back from the face, so any holes/cores in the middle will be no help when it comes to sawing.

To give you an idea, I can usually cut 100+ Queen size brick per hour with a 11hp gas powered table saw. Using a smaller 7" tile saw, expect maybe 10 per hour, and a lot of junk blades.

The foundation protrudes out from the studs about 4-5". Trying to figure out how to get a pic uploaded from work. Wants a http:// address.... I'm almost positive that the frame of the back wall is flush with the foundation. Meaning, its still raised up about 6" or so, but the frame is flush with the foundation itself. So would I just start on the floor and work my way up? Again, working on the pic.. but please elaborate on the cutting! Thanks!!
Not sure what you mean here, but if there's any chance that there's a ledge for a full depth brick, that would be my choice.......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

As above; if you cut the bricks into 1/2" slips, you will be cutting through about 160 sq ft of masonry = many scrap discs. You will also break a load of them.

If you have a reasonable ledge on the foundation, just do the job properly.
Leave 1" gap in front of the studwork; some ties; a dpc and weep holes at the base. You can overhang the brick a little if needs be.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing brick wall in back of garage HELP-mini-scan0061.jpg  
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 502

Yes, if you have a brick ledge, just lay the whole brick. To give you an idea, we charge $1.00 per cut, plus the cost of the brick, so it is not a cheap process.

Duckweather (08-15-2013)