Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Share |

Indoor concrete floor smoothing options?

We have terrible carpet in our apartment. Repairs made to this place are either done wrong or never done so we got the go ahead to do anything that needs to be done and cost of materials will be taken off the rent. Our concrete slabs are pitted, cracked, and there are tack strip holes. What are our options for smoothing it out? Leaving the place for any period of time longer than one day is not an option so repouring isn't possible. We like to keep as little VOCs as possible in our life so regular chemical paint isn't an option.
Acrisoy polyurethane? Wet sander rental? Are there any other options? In these photos the depth isn't visible because of the flash, but its decently bumpy. Couldn't insert an image since I'm on an iPhone, but here's a post of our floors http://simplespiveys.com/post/587471...at-we-have-the
Attached Thumbnails
Indoor concrete floor smoothing options?-image.jpg  
SimpleSpiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #2

What you do to the existing surface depends on what type of flooring you are going to reinstall. If you are going to install carpeting again it really doesn't have to be that smooth because good padding will hide the defects. If on the other hand you are going to install sheet vinyl every small imperfection will show and the floor needs to be almost perfect. Tell us what type of flooring you're going to install and we may be on help a little bit more.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #3

a sander for smoothing conc ? ? ? use quik-set patching cement for the tack strip holes, cracks, & divots,,, a diamond grinder for the rest of it,,, no voc's

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Agreed. Let us know what flooring you plan to put down. Quality carpet padding will even out most defects. You may be able to lay down a leveler and float an quality engineered floor without too much effort.

You could clean it up and have an epoxy finish put on it that would level it out at the same time. Odors will be extreme though.

I am not sure I would consider a diamond concrete grinder a casual DIY tool by the way.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

I may try and get the property manager to hire someone to do what needs to be done as far as smoothing if its too much for us to handle (the slab feels very uneven in some parts) but someone's roof just fell in after 2 years of asking her to fix it sooo its probably all going to be up to us. It's unfortunate that there's no law here about replacing carpet after tenants(the lifespan has definitely passed on ours) but since its impossible to disinfect, might have flame retardants, is likely to be made from petroleum and is bad for my allergies, carpet is not an option for us. I was thinking about paper floors since I have a ton of it for packing materials. Vinyl is a last resort and snap in fake wood probably off gasses so they're both at the bottom of the list. Since there aren't many human friendly options that aren't outrageously priced we will have to compromise somewhere unfortunately. Hoping that the compromise will be patching, smoothing with something containing cristalline silica, staining and polyurethane finishing.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Would a nice engineered cork or bamboo floor fit your budget? Take a look at products from this company.

http://www.duro-design.com/index.cfm/cork-flooring/

I saw a floor done not long ago with kraft paper shopping bags torn up and laid down over concrete. They were then given several coats of poly. It yielded kind of a leather look.

Just about anything you pick is going to outgas something.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Yeah we looked into it and it would be great to have cork in a house of our own one day. This place is so far gone I don't know if it would be worth it here. The Kraft paper floors would probably look great if the slab is smooth enough and we just might be able to do the whole place with this gigantic roll from ecoenclose. If it is the way it is now, the wear will happen on the higher parts and will need patching, but the ease of laying another sheet of paper down is very convenient or so those who have them have said. So it is likely that it will be throughout the place once the hallway concrete gets practiced on.

I guess the next step is to repair it as much as possible and try it out. The bump underneath might prove to be an issue since its about a 1/2 inch Difference in height. There's 15 years of sand under it, that's going to be really fun to sweep.

It is unfortunate that there aren't many options, even green depot only has a few. Thank goodness we don't have a little one crawling around besides the cat. Who knows what's even in this carpet and backing. Hopefully We don't run into any serious issues we have to ask about when the floor gets tackled. Thanks for the suggestions. We really appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

thinset mortar and ceramic tile. No outgassing and fairly quick and cheap.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, concrete floor