Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Share |

Ideas on how to repair the brick that was broken for the pipes

I was planning on taking off the plaster to put up drywall and insulation. But after removing the plaster where the sink was, this is what i found. I was wondering what should I do to fill in the void space between the bricks?
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas on how to repair the brick that was broken for the pipes-house-photo.jpg  

garrisj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2

was you planning on replacing that plumbing .....????? ben sr

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Yes I was planning on doing that as well
Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Thread moved
Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

You obviously are not going to need anything for additional structural support since it's been that way for so long. Your best bet in probably the easiest way to do anything would be to fill the void with expandable foam (a couple of cans would probably do it) after you install the new piping. You could then trimmed out any excess before installing the new sheetrock. Are you going to stud out the wall to add insulation?
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #6

I was going to stud it out to put up insulation and to run new electrical lines.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Take a sample of the Mortar that is in the walls now, to your local Cement yard. They should have a lab, that they can tell you the makeup that was used, so you can get a mix made for patching those sections that need to be.

As for the piping, I would just pack some Fiberglass or Roxwool around where you can, to stop drafts, then use two layers of Gypsum on the wall, with Green Glue between the layers.

Looks like an old Factory home, that one of the local Steel factories built for their workers, or Post-War. Any pictures of the outside and other areas like the Bath & Laundry, that you have, that you are running into the same issue.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Take a sample of the Mortar that is in the walls now, to your local Cement yard. They should have a lab, that they can tell you the makeup that was used, so you can get a mix made for patching those sections that need to be.
What are you talking about???
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (01-02-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
What are you talking about???
Looks like you just jumped in with no clue of the discussion. Jomama45, maybe read the whole thread, before jumping on someone for what they posted.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Looks like you just jumped in with no clue of the discussion. Jomama45, maybe read the whole thread, before jumping on someone for what they posted.
No, I read it all before posting Greg. Your advice still makes no sense to me. Sometimes I wonder where you get this stuff from............
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (01-02-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:

As for the piping, I would just pack some Fiberglass or Roxwool around where you can, to stop drafts, then use two layers of Gypsum on the wall, with Green Glue between the layers.

Looks like an old Factory home, that one of the local Steel factories built for their workers, or Post-War. Any pictures of the outside and other areas like the Bath & Laundry, that you have, that you are running into the same issue.
I just started in the kitchen right now. Its a 1.5 story house built around 1900. I think the first floor exterior walls are all plaster over brick.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrisj1 View Post
I just started in the kitchen right now. Its a 1.5 story house built around 1900. I think the first floor exterior walls are all plaster over brick.
I was wondering about the age, due to the type of construction of the walls.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:40 AM   #13

if 1 one responder thinks there might be some historical significance, you might consider a web-cam & subscription svce me ? i'd stuff it w/f-g & rock over it
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #14

They look a bit like terracotta blocks on the inside skin.
Name:  download.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  5.1 KB
You could also use some deep frogged bricks like these with the frogs cut down to make them thinner, and lay them on edge.
Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 52
Size:  3.5 KB

stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart45 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-02-2014)