Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Share |

Hydraulic Concrete

I got this hydraulic cement powder, mixed with water to re-do my older concrete swimming pool... Ace Hardware recommended it. Bad idea? Or will this work ok?

I am planning to paint it with Epoxy Swimming Pool paint, I will use a primer first.
I would like to know if this should work out ok or if the GAP Hydraulic Cement wasn't right at all. Help.

PeggyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Hydraulic Concrete

If it is real hydraulic cement, it will not work as a coating. Hydraulic cement is meant to be mixed quite stiff so it can be forced into a crack or joint to confine it as it expands slightly and locks itself in place. For a surface application it would not be the right product.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Hydraulic Concrete

so, if I did... well, because I did. What would be the ramifications if I paint over it?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Hydraulic Concrete

Hi Dick!
Umm... I already applied it to the entire 3' section of the pool and the border of the deep end...
Will this work ok if I repaint over it?
Do I have to cover it with a different product?
OR (hopefully this is not needed) do I have to remove the Hydraulic Cement...
Peggy

UPDATE: 4/16
Hello everyone... I really appreciate your insight. I could not find anyone that sells the cementitious polymer-modified mortar. After returning from a week's business trip I found the hydraulic cement cracking and pulling away. So - I removed it with some serious power washing. You were all correct, it would not have been a happy ending.
I have purchased the epoxy pool paint (expensive stuff I mix with an additive, not the cheaper paints)
Plan is to chemically clean the pool and paint when the weather warms up a bit.
Sounds right now I think...

Last edited by PeggyAnne; 04-16-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

Hydraulic Concrete

hydraulic has it place but not in your pool for this type repair as dick noted,,, the proper mtl is cementitious polymer-modified repair mortar,,, since you've already gone & done it, get a bag of that stuff & coat it - THEN apply your top coating ( ' paint ' )

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

Hydraulic Concrete

I agree with Itsreallyconc,
You needed a high strength repair mixture such as a polyaspartic epoxy based product. Hydraulic mortar would be used in applications which would be underwater. Since its already done, paint, seal and have fun in your pool. The cracks could return so you would have to repair it the right way this time. Good luck

Last edited by beenthere; 04-12-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Removed link
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #7

Hydraulic Concrete

we agree on the ' high strength repair mixture ' part but a polyaspartic & epoxy are 2 different animals - i wouldn't recommend either for underwtr application based on suitability & expense,,, when it time, find a pool supply store,,, remember cracks are repaired differently than surface distress into the conc / plaster surface coating

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itsreallyconc For This Useful Post:
TRUEPRO (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Hydraulic Concrete

Theres a compound called rocktight... havnt used it yet. Comes in very small box and is quite pricey but is says it dries in 15 minutes and is like 5000 psi used for surface repairs. Any experience with this? The spelling might be a little different too... roctight? roktight? IDk

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote