How To Repair Erosion Underneath Driveway - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

How to Repair Erosion Underneath Driveway

This pic is of our driveway. Note the erosion underneath. The erosion only extends about 6-14 inches (from left to right) underneath the slab. Beyond that, there's good, solid compacted dirt supporting the slab. There are no structural issues (cracks, etc.) above this area. Can anybody recommend the best way to fill this with rocks, gravel, concrete, etc. to keep it from eroding further and give some support to this area of the driveway? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How to Repair Erosion Underneath Driveway-driveway_erosion-1.jpg  

Advertisement

HomeGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

Someone messed up on that one.
Should have been a turned down slab.
You also are going to have an issue with all those roots at some point, they need to go.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,158

First thing is to move that downspout,more than likely part of the cause of the problem,then see if those roots are alive.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You also are going to have an issue with all those roots at some point, they need to go.
Well, the slab's been like this for 63 years, so they didn't screw up that bad The roots are dead. Any suggestions or other observations? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
First thing is to move that downspout,more than likely part of the cause of the problem,then see if those roots are alive.
Downspout is not operational and the roots are dead. Any suggestions or other observations? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 156

I am certainly not a concrete guy but I don't see why you could not fix it by pushing in some nonshrinking grout. You should definatley add some dirt and foilage or grass to the side to prevent that from happening again.

Rick
bcgfdc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgfdc3 View Post
I am certainly not a concrete guy but I don't see why you could not fix it by pushing in some nonshrinking grout. You should definatley add some dirt and foilage or grass to the side to prevent that from happening again.

Rick
Me either- but there are ways to inject fill products under slabs- I've seen sunken sidewalks raised and leveled before.
But I agree that you should build some protection on the edge first
Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,456

no idea htf anyone could inject into an open void so howzabout a 2x4 & some dirt/gravel/#57 stone mix ? then backup the d/w edge to prevent more in the future 15min work,,, you're welcome
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,622

The reason it eroded is because the shrub died. Shrub and tree roots excel in preventing erosion way better than grass roots.

To repair you'll need a form. Bury an aluminum flashing or redwood or other suitable material a couple of inches deep and about an inch from the concrete edge allowing it to extend above the bottom edge of the concrete approximately an inch.

Using a hydraulic cement such as Rockite mixed to a thin pourable consistency, about like thin pancake batter, fill the void.

After it cures add soil to the correct elevation and plant a small shrub back in the place of the dead and enjoy your drive and shrub for many more years to come. Let that old down spout likes it there so let it live where it's been happy for so long.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 03-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy2 View Post
Well, the slab's been like this for 63 years, so they didn't screw up that bad The roots are dead. Any suggestions or other observations? Thanks!
Ayuh,.... Throw some stone/ gravel down at the void, 'n chink it in with yer shovel...
Repeat til ya can't slam anymore gravel into the void...

Then top it off, 'n feather out the grade with top dirt, 'n seed it with grass to lock everything into place...

The top dirt toppin' oughta extend out say 3'-4' from the concrete, from the Top of the concrete...

A nice walkable grade drop...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
ya never know, maybe it is
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,680

if that were mine , i would = dig down about 6". dig under at least 6" and out about 6". form out about 6" and about 1" above bottom of slab. put in stone, 4" perhaps. then i would pour concrete in there, working it up under as best possible.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #13

bcgfdc3, TheEplumber, itsreallyconc, Fairview, Bondo, and Fix'n it, THANKS for all your suggestions! Sure, my first thought was to just jam some gravel and concrete into the void underneath the driveway, then watch it set as I drank a few beers. But, I've usually found, more times than not, there's usually more than what meets the eye when it comes to concrete, electrical, and plumbing. Again, thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

You're welcome. Several times I have had to tunnel under footings to bring pipes into buildings- often times 4' deep. We would backfill and compact all we could, then use CDF (controlled density fill) on the remainder- if necessary, we'd use a concrete vibrator to fill the last of the voids. Check in to it

Advertisement