Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

how to prep pvc and emt pipes under concrete

I am laying some pvc and emt pipes down and have some questions about the best way to prep for a concrete pour. I am going to pour a little concrete walkway over one part, and another part goes under the driveway, where i've cut a 9" or so slot through the driveway.

I've got the trenches and pipes about 4-8" (depending on where) below where the bottom of the concrete needs to be (to still have a decent thickness of concrete). I was told to sleeve all of the pipes, then I was told that just putting gravel around them would suffice.

I am in southern california and have zero concern for frost, but earth quakes are a concern.

I was told that I have to protect the pvc in particular from coming into contact with the concrete because it can degrade the pipe.

and I was told that gravel is necessary to help drainage, but a. this is all under concrete, so no water should be getting through anyway, but b. they are pipes and i can't imagine why any water happening to pass by would bother them.

any suggestions?

jfryjfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

I was told that I have to protect the pvc in particular from coming into contact with the concrete because it can degrade the pipe.

Never heard that one before, but you can sleeve or bury your pipe your call,and just the other way around don't put the emt in concrete as it will degrade.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

so you'd say just putting the pipes in dirt should suffice? sounds good. i was planning on wrapping them in pipe foam, then putting either gravel or dirt around them and pouring on top.
jfryjfry is offline   Reply With Quote