How Level Do Sonotubes Have To Be? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RETALS
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

How level do sonotubes have to be?

I'm getting ready to pour the piers for my deck posts this weekend. I'm doing anchored post bases with J bolts and was wondering how critical the levelness of the tops of the sonotubes needs to be? I'm using 12" sonotubes (11.5" actual) and my holes were drilled with a 12" auger. So they hole are perfect in regards that the tubes fit snug with enough drag that you have to rotate and push them into the holes. So my concern is that this will not leave me any adjustability to really fine tune the positioning of the tube to level the top. All the holes came out pretty straight, so we're not talking about any of them being way off. But as a first timer I figured I should ask if this should be a concern or not.

Two possible solutions I thought of were to use a belt sander to sand down the top of the tube to get it level? or after the concrete is dry use a dremel and sand out a level concrete pad where the post bases will rest?
BIG Johnson likes this.

Advertisement

RETALS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,820

Re: How level do sonotubes have to be?

You can always adjust the post lengths.
BIG Johnson likes this.

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
You can always adjust the post lengths.
I think he's talking about the augered holes not being plumb so the tops of the tubes won't be level and short of using self leveling concrete the tops will not be level after the Crete sets. It sounds like he's close enough but I'm not there so I can't say for sure. He should absolutely drop a 4' level down the tube to verify the bubble is at a minimum between the black.
BIG Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 4,860

Your sonotubes need to be plumb. You check them with a string level, a plumb bob, or a builders level. You fill them to the appropriate grade, it doesn't make much difference if the top of the concrete is level, what is important is that you insert the steel bracket in the correct location, and level the top of the bracket. This is easy to do, since the bracket support is typically buried at least three inches in the concrete, and the bracket is not going to settle in the concrete. You just set the bracket in the wet concrete, adjust the bracket to level both ways, and support the bracket if you used really soupy concrete (if you mix your concrete correctly, it will be stiff enough that the bracket will not settle).

Worst case the bracket is slightly out of level, no big deal, you shim the post when you install it.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Your sonotubes need to be plumb. You check them with a string level, a plumb bob, or a builders level. You fill them to the appropriate grade, it doesn't make much difference if the top of the concrete is level, what is important is that you insert the steel bracket in the correct location, and level the top of the bracket. This is easy to do, since the bracket support is typically buried at least three inches in the concrete, and the bracket is not going to settle in the concrete. You just set the bracket in the wet concrete, adjust the bracket to level both ways, and support the bracket if you used really soupy concrete (if you mix your concrete correctly, it will be stiff enough that the bracket will not settle).

Worst case the bracket is slightly out of level, no big deal, you shim the post when you install it.
I'm not using the kind of post bases where the saddle and the anchor are one piece though. I'm using J bolts and then the saddle is placed after the concrete and bolt is set.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #6

Once the concrete is in the sonotube, jiggle it or tap it with a hammer and most concrete will self level to an acceptable degree. Strike it off with a trowel and then place the bolts after it has set up a little bit. Wiggle them into place and then trowel around them to flatten. You will be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
RETALS (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,708

If I'm understanding the question, you are concerned with the top of each tube being level ?

If so I would be more concerned with the elevation or level of tube - to tube - to tube. If you sand one level that changes the elevation then all must be sanded to the elevation of the first one you sanded and hopefully that first one to be chosen was the shortest in height.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
If I'm understanding the question, you are concerned with the top of each tube being level ?

If so I would be more concerned with the elevation or level of tube - to tube - to tube. If you sand one level that changes the elevation then all must be sanded to the elevation of the first one you sanded and hopefully that first one to be chosen was the shortest in height.
These are for vertical posts, so the elevation from tube to tube shouldn't matter as its compensated for just by cutting the posts to length.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Once the concrete is in the sonotube, jiggle it or tap it with a hammer and most concrete will self level to an acceptable degree. Strike it off with a trowel and then place the bolts after it has set up a little bit. Wiggle them into place and then trowel around them to flatten. You will be fine.
Good call. Makes perfect sense. To take it another step further, would it be smart to leave about an inch of unfilled tube to really give the concrete the ability to self level, and then trim the extra inch of tube off after the concrete sets?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

That will work.

Although it might be tough to get a trowel into a 12 inch sonotube to work the mix.

Best to set the tubes to grade, IMHO. If they were larger, like 24 inch, then your idea would be better.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,992

Quote:
That will work.

Although it might be tough to get a trowel into a 12 inch sonotube to work the mix.

Best to set the tubes to grade, IMHO. If they were larger, like 24 inch, then your idea would be better.
Unless your local Code mandates a distance above grade (mine does).
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Unless your local Code mandates a distance above grade (mine does).
Agree that the top of the tube should be 6 or 8 inches above grade.
I guess I didn't phrase it correctly.
What I meant was: to set the top of the tube to a finish grade for the bottom of the post or beam assembly, and level, so there was no tube remaining above the pour height.
lenaitch likes this.

Advertisement