Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |

How to install pavers over concrete?

We want to expand our patio. Right now, there is an old 12' x 18' concrete patio at the back of the house. We intend to roughly double the size of the patio. Aerial photo attached. The slope of the current concrete seems to be fine. There is about a one-foot slope in the grassy area which would have to be build up to make it all flat.

What would be the proper preparation to lay 2-3/8" concrete pavers over the old concrete?

Ideally, we would like the new patio to be one expanse, without steps. Would it be feasible doing this and not wind up with a fault line where the existing pad ends? What precautions could I take?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How to install pavers over concrete?-patio.jpg  

MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

It will almost always become an issue where the two come together in my experiences, unless you were putting a few inches of gravel/sand over the existing, which "could" minimize issues.

IMO, I'd either remove the existing concrete patio, or pour an additional piece of concrete to set the brick on, so all the brick are either entirely on concrete, or entirely on gravel/sand.............

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-02-2013), MurphyMan (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Thinset.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #4

UNLESS you're patio's in an area of NO freeze/thaw, suggest some reconsideration,,, you're likely to be repairing the stone's after a few yrs when the wtr freezes & pops them loose,,, howzabout you place some conc next to your existing then overlay both w/decorative polymer-modified conc carved & colored to look like stone ?

just a thought !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #5

Here in So. Illinois, it does freeze in the winter. You made a good point about pavers popping off.

In my heart, I know the best way would be to remove the existing concrete and take it from scratch. I may do that, then know that it's done right, instead of trying to save a few bucks.

MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, pavers