How To Fix? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

How to fix?

I should have stepped back and taken a bigger picture. Our steps run along the front of the house up to a split level entrance. This is the wall on the outside of the steps with a pillar on each side supporting the "overhang".

Question is: how do i fix these crumbling "bricks"?

Next question: how is this wall made up? Is it a row of cement blocks with a row these crumble clay bricks on each side?

Once i get the power washer out and spray away all the loose material, do i chip out all crumbling brick and replace with a similar type of brick?

All we plan on doing is painting the "brick" wall.

B
Attached Thumbnails
How to fix?-wall1.jpg   How to fix?-wall2.jpg   How to fix?-wall3.jpg  

Advertisement

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,496

How to fix?

Looks like a water intrusion isse. Find the source of the water and repair that. Then you can replace the damage bricks.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

How to fix?

Assuming they are clay bricks, the damage in the pics is likely to be frost damage, and the bricks are obviously not frost resistant.

In that location, they are likely to remain permanently damp, and painting them has only made the situation worse. It is never adviseable to paint free-standing or retaining walls as the paint traps ground moisture in, preventing it from evaporating, hence the frost problem in winter.

Easily said I know, but the only practical long-term solution is to replace the bricks with frost-resistant units; if you replace only the fractured ones, you will be back next spring replacing more.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,462

How to fix?

now you know why no one recommends painting brick 'cause it looks like **** when it peels/flakes/cracks off & can cause damage tobrickwork since your home's aperfect example of what NOT to do, why would you want to do it AGAIN ??????????

that being said, daughter #3 had her brickwork painted,,, living & learning from your own m/u's is MUCH more direct AND expensive compared to following good advice based on proven experience,,, think she saw it some idiots on tv doing it
anyway, 4 wk old paint & already its flaking
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

How to fix?

This was all done to the house when we moved in three and a half years ago. We are in the process of painting the house a new color with the the foundation at ground level and this front entrance way being all that is left.

I will power wash the whole thing and replace anything that appears loose, and take care of any water issues.

Yes, once brick has been painted, it can't be unpainted. That ship has sailed and i am trying to fix this problem.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote