Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #1

Share |

How do I attach 100 year-old brick to a dry-wall surface?

Hi!
I live in a small town with a large historic district, and when the town recently demolished a 1880 brick building, they offered the bricks up for grabs to anyone with a trailer. I snagged several hundred, and now want to use them as a decorative, non-structural element in my kitchen remodel.

Any advice on how to secure my bricks against a drywall surface? Thoughts on the type of adhesive or mortar that should be used? Should I staple up chicken wire first or possibly occasionally secure some long screws/bolts into studs with a portion of the screw extending out into mortar lines?

The wall in question is not a big one, I am just looking to do a feature wall that is about 6 ft by 8 ft. I will start with a level and solid surface, and was thinking that I might even put few of those old metal stars in place to add interest and additional structure/retention to the whole thing.

I am an avid DIYer. If I can just get some guidance on the basics, I'm sure that I can create a unique focal point with these fantastic old bricks.

PS - the bricks are a bit friable, but not horribly bad - it adds to their charm and mellow character!

Thanks SO much!
Margaret

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Hi!
I live in a small town with a large historic district, and when the town recently demolished a 1880 brick building, they offered the bricks up for grabs to anyone with a trailer. I snagged several hundred, and now want to use them as a decorative, non-structural element in my kitchen remodel.

Any advice on how to secure my bricks against a drywall surface? Thoughts on the type of adhesive or mortar that should be used? Should I staple up chicken wire first or possibly occasionally secure some long screws/bolts into studs with a portion of the screw extending out into mortar lines?

The wall in question is not a big one, I am just looking to do a feature wall that is about 6 ft by 8 ft. I will start with a level and solid surface, and was thinking that I might even put few of those old metal stars in place to add interest and additional structure/retention to the whole thing.

I am an avid DIYer. If I can just get some guidance on the basics, I'm sure that I can create a unique focal point with these fantastic old bricks.

PS - the bricks are a bit friable, but not horribly bad - it adds to their charm and mellow character!

Thanks SO much!
Margaret
Margaret, you will need metal wall ties to hold the brick to the wall unless there is another way I am not aware of. It should take in the neighborhood of 336 brick to cover a wall that size if I remember right. One thing you will need to take into consideration is the weight of the brick. Your floor will need to be beefed up to hold the extra weight. You need check what size floor joist you have and what span they cover and what is supporting them, before you can come up with a plan to support the extra weight.

Another word on your brick, if you have any of the orange brick they will be very soft so you will need to be careful with them, they are bad to have the surface pop off them.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Jim!

The wall in question is now an 'internal' wall, since an addition was added on to the back of the house, but it was originally an external wall, and is load-bearing. It sits directly on a foundation, and while the house is a two story, this particular part of the house is single story, so all it is supporting is the roof above. The foundation and joists are both in good condition.

So, is it likely that this is adequate in terms of support?

Also, can you expand on how metal wall ties are used? And is that how I ask for them at the hardware store - or is there an official term?

Thanks again - much appreciated!
Margaret
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Do you want to cover the whole wall? Can you have the bricks sliced and just do it "veneer style"?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Thanks for the response Jim!

The wall in question is now an 'internal' wall, since an addition was added on to the back of the house, but it was originally an external wall, and is load-bearing. It sits directly on a foundation, and while the house is a two story, this particular part of the house is single story, so all it is supporting is the roof above. The foundation and joists are both in good condition.

So, is it likely that this is adequate in terms of support?

Also, can you expand on how metal wall ties are used? And is that how I ask for them at the hardware store - or is there an official term?

Thanks again - much appreciated!
Margaret
As long as the floor joist run into that wall instead of with that wall you should be OK. Yes ask for metal brick wall ties.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #6

Thanks Pete - this was a fantastic suggestion. I checked with a local contractor who agreed to cut them in half for me lengthwise (which will preserve enough brick to maintain integrity, and which makes it easy to turn one brick into 2 usable surfaces.) This gives me a 1/2 brick that looks standard once applied, but is half as deep and half the weight. It also will greatly extend my supply of vintage bricks, and allows me to use some for other projects.

We did a few test cuts on his wet saw, and it worked beautifully. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question - thanks!
Margaret
Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #7

Jim - I really appreciate your responses, and will use your suggestions. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out a newbie!
Margaret

The Following User Says Thank You to MargaretR For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-09-2012)

Tags
brick, non-structural, wall