Hook Above Mantle - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Hook above mantle

I am installing a gas fireplace, with a veneer stone surround and "chimney" (fireplace vents out the back, chimney just for appearance sake). Since this is new, now seems to be the time to make provisions for hanging things above the mantle (wreath, pictures, boar's head, marlin, whatever).

Any thoughts or experience with this? Looking for something relatively inconspicuous, but useful when it needs to be.

Right now, I'm thinking of an eye-bolt at a stone seam, set into a stud. I can affix a hook to that when needed. Just wondering if there are other solutions that would work/look better. Or, if nothing else, a source for a non-bright eye-bolt.

Advertisement

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 732

Hook above mantle

Use 3/4" plywood on the wall instead of sheetrock.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Hook above mantle

I was, actually, going to put 1/2-in Durock over the studs. Pretty much intending to follow Tscarborough's suggestions, but I might add a scratch coat to make the surface rougher. With plywood, I would have to lath and scratch, wouldn't I? Right now, I have an open frame. My middle stud looks like it's in a fine location for a hanger, but I can easily add others. It just seems, to me, to be smart to add a hanger of some sort before the veneer stone goes on, rather than drilling through the stone afterwards.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote