Holes In Basement Walls. Please HELP! - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Holes in basement walls. Please HELP!

My wife and I bought a house last year and were painting our basement walls. There seems to be a few spots where the texture that was done over the cinder blocks is coming off, but it seemed like no big deal...until today. There was a small bubble in the wall, and it broke when it got rolled over, then what appears to be sand started pouring out of it. I kinda poked around with my finger, digging at it some and it doesn't appear to ease up at all. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there is some sort of masonry/grout laid over the cinder blocks- maybe 1/2" thick
There are a few other "bubbles" similar to this and I don't know what to do about it. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it doesn't look very appealing. Anyone have any ideas?
[ATTACH]Holes in basement walls. Please HELP!-img_3358.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Holes in basement walls. Please HELP!-img_3360.jpg  

Advertisement

jwedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,472

1st, call your realtor, home inspector, & the atty who closed for you,,, sounds as if someone ' mudd'd over ' a bsmt wall leak,,, has there been serious rainfall recently ? could also be the wall's been fill'd w/sand but i've never seen that done.

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,164

Looks like parging over cmu's.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-05-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,556

It looks dry but my first impression is that you have a water leakage issue. Not sure about the sand. Is it really sand or could it be insect frass?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Looks like parging over cmu's.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I Googled parging CMU. I knew what it was, but had no idea what it was called.

A few more details-
Our house will built in early 60's. I doubt we have many water problems. We live in SW Oklahoma- not exactly the wettest place, esp in recent history. I'm beginning to wonder if the parging was just not mixed/installed well 50 yrs ago, and now it's starting to fall apart. It wouldn't be a tough project to tear out and redo sheetrock w/ furring strips, but our basement is somewhere around 900 sq ft in area. It would take lots of work.

I give many thanks for the replies folks. Helped me out in a time of stress
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

I've decided to just patch the current holes, and hope for the best. After I chip and dig out all of the loose stuff around the holes, what would be the ideal product to use to re-parge the holes that are created?

Advertisement