Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Henry Blue primer?

Hey Guys!

I had a new foundation poured for my cottage and the builder supplied me with a roll of Tyvek building wrap, however, I got a great deal on a few rolls of Henry Blue which I would like to use instead of or with? The Henry Blue.

Do you have to use the primer with the Henry Blue?

Can I use the Tyvek and the Henry Blue together? Or is it better to just use one or the either?

Any input is appreciated!

Michael

n2omichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,636

Henry Blue primer?

I never heard of Tyvek being used on a foundation. It is normally used on wooden structures above ground.

I don't know what Henry Blue is. Can you post a link.

Last edited by joed; 08-30-2013 at 08:06 AM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Henry Blue primer?

http://ca.henry.com/

Here is a link, supposed to be GREAT stuff!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,636

Henry Blue primer?

Henry makes a bunch of different products. They look like the proper stuff for a foundation. I would not be using tyvek.

I hope we are on the same page. When you say foundation I think of concrete or black basement walls that are underground. If you have a different definition let us know.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Henry Blue primer?

It's a little of both

The foundation is concrete for 4 feet, then there is a knee wall for 4 feet, we could only get down about 18" or so then we hit solid bedrock (limestone)

After the foundation was poured the concrete section was tarred and back filled, there is still 2 feet at least of exposed concrete and all of the knee wall which was sheeted in plywood.

The plan is to wrap from grade to above sills where knee wall joins cottage before siding..

Ideally, we should have wrapped building from footings up, but, backfilling had already started when I stumbled onto the Henry Blue, and initially I thought that tar would be sufficient since there was so little soil
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,212

Henry Blue primer?

ideally you would have also installed a 4" footing drain surrounded w/#57 clean crushed stone all inside a silt cloth liner,,, the 4" pipe would have then led to daylight thereby providing accumulated water ( which will find the basement of your very fine new home ) a way to escape & not build up next to your foundation & bsmt walls eventually seeping into your very fine new bsmt.

the coating you applied isn't ' tar ' ( must be applied hot as a liquid ) but probably an asphalt-based emulsion ( water & asphalt ceement ) which was applied cold ( ambient temp ),,, it is NOT waterproofing by anyone's definition,,, the bldg code only requires a 3mil DAMPPROOFING coating,,, it does not require that coating be protected during or after backfilling which often leads to voids thereby also promoting bsmt leaks

while this post may be too late to help in your current project, hopefully you'll remember it when & if you do build again,,, others may also benefit

reinventing the wheel is often pointless & shortcuts usually come back to bite 1 in the a** then again, maybe its just me
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #7

Henry Blue primer?

There IS a trench around the ENTIRE foundation that's dug down to solid limestone, on top of that is several inches of gravel. On top of the gravel is 4" sock wrapped big O, then rigid foam, then more gravel. And finally back filled with dirt.

There is a sump well in the basement (below grade) and sump pump that exits out the wall into an additional 100ft of Big O.

I called the coating "tar" since that's what the concrete forming company that poured the foundation referred to it as.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,212

Henry Blue primer?

well done - you deserve a LARGE ' ATTABOY ! '
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Henry Blue primer?

Thanks!!

BUT, Hold off on the Kudos until I see if the damn thing survives the winter! LOL