Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Help w/ Limestone Chimney Crown

Hi, Iím looking at building a concrete crown for a limestone chimney. Currently there is a very thick, heavily cracked mortar wash on it. I am wondering if this is an appropriate treatment for a natural stone chimney, as Iíve never seen a poured concrete cap around here (Central TX.) If I did pour a concrete cap, what would be the best way to seal the gaps around the edge since the surface is so irregular?

The existing wash seems to be spread on top of metal lathe, but I canít be sure if thereís any more support underneath until I remove the old wash. As you can see in the photos the mortar is slopped clear up the side of the flue. Is it difficult to remove this top section of tile (from below the crown line) and replace it with a new one?

Since the chimney is low and fairly accessible for maintenance and inspection, would I be OK just chipping off the old wash and and redoing it with mortar, feathering it out to the edge?

Thanks for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Help w/ Limestone Chimney Crown-imgp0825.jpg   Help w/ Limestone Chimney Crown-imgp0826.jpg   Help w/ Limestone Chimney Crown-imgp0827.jpg  

RedYucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

No, the flue is in either 1 or 2 foot sections, so it will be easy to remove. Most, if not all of the mortar should be removed, a new cap (with overhang) formed and poured 3-4" thick. A 3/8" gap should be left around the flue and that should be filled with high temp sealant.

Windows on Wash (04-26-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
No, the flue is in either 1 or 2 foot sections, so it will be easy to remove.
Why would he want to remove a section of the flu? I certainly agree with the rest of your post as being the best way to resolve the problem but I don't see why he would need to remove the section of the flu unless he broke it by removing the mortar.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

" As you can see in the photos the mortar is slopped clear up the side of the flue. Is it difficult to remove this top section of tile (from below the crown line) and replace it with a new one?"
Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 24

Thanks for your responses. I wanted to know about replacing the top flue tile because I thought it might break when removing the wash (it's also slightly cracked on top). Additionally I wanted a clean even gap around the bottom for the thermal expansion gap.

How would you recommend filling the gaps between and the low points of the stone and the form board so the concrete doesn't spill through? And lastly, assuming I keep the concrete misted and covered, whatís the highest outside temp I could pour at and not risk cracks.

Thanks again.
RedYucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Rob

Rewards Points: 520

The only thing I can think of for gaps is ductape. As far as temp for cracks, I would check that, where you get concrete. I can't recommend it because I have never used it but I would look into Helix Steel Fiber Reinforcing. It helps prevent cracking.
I could give you some ideas on forming it.

Last edited by Robpo; 04-25-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote