Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Help refinishing foundation. 30 year old Thoroseal or skim coat

Every year my paint peels off the exterior foundation blocks, every year I scrape it and repaint it with a latex. The blocks were coated about 30 years ago with something. I don't know if it was Thoroseal or a skim coat. Anyhow, most of it has turned to a sand texture and the paint has nothing to stick to over the harsh winter.

So far I have spent 10 hours with a welders hammer chipping away and then using an industrial grinder with a wire wheel to clean up the sandy stuff. I don't even have the front of the house finished. It is very splotchy, with some areas coming clean down to the block, and others where I can't chisel everything away.

Any ideas on the correct tool to use, or what to coat the foundation with, or what is the best way to tackle this project?
Thanks.

mennitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #2

the usual suspects are moisture & its cousin, water when you post ' Anyhow, most of it has turned to a sand texture ' what does that mean - the coating OR the blocks ?

let me also be the 1st to welcome you to this august forum & add ' WHERE TF ARE YOU ? ? ? ' ( location, remember ? if a big help to responders ! )

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #3

The coating

Pennsylvania
mennitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #4

eastern ,pa ? thoroseal's generally used by pro's as engineers, contractors, specifiers, etc are more familiar w/it than the avg h/o-diy'er,,, bet what you have is a parge coat &, perhaps, cinder blocks but that's only a wag on the block,,, IF the coating's solid in parts, you might have to mechanically attach expanded wire mesh then another coat - this time use a polymer-modified vertical grade cementitious mtl,,, doubt you'll find it at the apron/vest stores so look for a pro const supply house,,, then you can apply t-seal tint'd to the color you want - but 1st check for wtr & moisture
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, deteriorating, foundation, skim coat, thoroseal