Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

Help with new block foundation

Just had the block layed to replace an old foundation under a 14 x 7 addition on house.

1) On 1 side the old floor/sill plate is off level a good bit, about 1.5" over a 7' span. I had the block layed level and now on 1 end the block is against sill and other end of span there is about a 1.5" gap. I was going to fill in this gap with some cement/grout, but I am unsure as to what type to use. Any suggestions?

2) I was originally going to back fill with gravel against new block and put a footer drain in, but now after looking at grading there is no where to run it that will allow a downward slope for drainage. Should I still back fill with gravel if no footer drain is being used? Soil is hard clay with very poor drainage, so I am afraid if gravel is used, pools of water in gravel will sit against block and seep into walls. My thinking is if back filled with old soil/clay, it would prevent large pools of water from forming (that would be against walls) and be better than gravel in this case. Any thoughts on this?

3) I was going to waterproof exterior walls below grade and read a low cost method would be using a thick coat of tar with 6+ mill plastic over top and another layer of tar over plastic, would this be suitable?

Thanks in advance for any help!

stevekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Regarding question #1, should I use mortar, hydraulic cement or something else for this?

I am looking for the strongest material that won't break apart very easily when used to fill small gaps.

stevekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

1. nor sure I understand problem. Can you post pictures.
2.Is there a basement? Footer drain and gravel would be my choice. If it can't gravity drain then a sump pump is needed.
3. I would use a real waterproofing method. The plastic will eventually unbond from the tar.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

meadows hydralastic 836 & drainage/waffle board ( miradrain ),,, ferguson carries drainage board as do many other const supply houses

ps - its not ' tar ' but a mixture of asphalt cement & water,,, in order to apply tar, you'd have to heat it to 200f & above

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help

Last edited by itsreallyconc; 07-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

If there's no way to drain to daylight, is it possible to direct the water to a dry well or something?
strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

the most important item is positive drainage ( AWAY from the wall ),,, backfilling w/heavy clay content material is sketchy at best due to the inability to properly compact the fill against a lo-lateral strength block wall as you're denied the use of mechanical plate compactors.

the ' something ' - we often bury a pvc sump ( proper depth ) & install a zoeller m-53 pump,,, we also use a pvc pipe riser to make pump replacement easy ( no digging up the sump )

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote