Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help on installing Thin brick

I want to build a brick wall in my loft. The wall is 20 wide x 10 high. The floor and ceiling are both cement. The wall is currently drywalled. Can anyone suggest how i should install and what products i should use? I am really patient and am not concerned about how long or how much work it will take.

Thanks, Cory

cali canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

I've always had better luck using concrete backer board (Wonderboard/tile board) for thin brick, as it seems a lath and plaster base get's too "bumpy", and the inconsistency telegraphs right through the finished product. You can use the same attachment instructions as you would for tile installation, and the spacing should be right on the sheets.......

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Since you do not need the structure of the brick I would use a real clay brick veneer product. The veneers are about 1/2" thick. BrickIt comes to mind but their are others. There are also lighterweight "faux brick" veneers and panels but I find them pretty easy to spot.

The manufacturer you choose will have mastic and mortar recommendations. Tile backer would perhaps be more stable but see what options you have when you select a product.

Of course you have to choose your brick pattern and to at least the extent of appearance, act like you are setting full bricks.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
I've always had better luck using concrete backer board (Wonderboard/tile board) for thin brick, as it seems a lath and plaster base get's too "bumpy", and the inconsistency telegraphs right through the finished product. You can use the same attachment instructions as you would for tile installation, and the spacing should be right on the sheets.......
Thanks that's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.
cali canuck is offline   Reply With Quote