Help With Groundwater - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with groundwater

Hi,

New to forum, and hoping I can get some help.

My MIL's house was built in 1800's. Over time the dirt floor was covered with a thin layer ( 1-2 inchs ) of concrete. She wants to put a GE Geospring Hot Water Tank system in.

I have to dig down 18 inches and pour a concrete pad for the plumber becasue of the low height in the basement. That is 90% complete .

The problem is, I keep getting ground water seeping in and filling up the hole ( 5' x 5' ). The water is seeping in from 3 sides of the hole. I will try to take some pics tonight and post them.

Trying to figure out if there is a way to stop the water from coming in on the sides long enough to pour concrete walls and then pour the bottom pad?

Or should I dig a seperate hole to make a sump pit and connect it to the original hole and set up a sump pump and line to discharge the water??

Advertisement

NHMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,472

Help with groundwater

you can't stop it so digging a sump pit & installing a pump will work,,,uncertain why you need a 18" thick pad for the plumber but that's another story,,, maybe he's a tall plumber & needs some headroom ?

whatever you do, the sump pump's gotta stay,,, you're casting a boat's hull & it will float,,, sounds as if you're facing a high water table issue.

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Help with groundwater

That's what I thought. I don't need an 18" thick pad, I have to dig down 18" becasue the Geospring Hot Water heater is tall. The basement is only 5' in height.

I guess I will have to dig a channel and pit off the left corner, and make it deeper than the pad area so the water will drain down to it.
NHMike is offline   Reply With Quote