At 125 feet... this is more like basic road building.
Originally Posted by elmaur
Do I lay a base of one type of gravel
...and then top it off with something else?
What thickness do I end up with?
Do I compact the layers and what is the best way to do it?
The total area is about 125' x 14'.
1) KNOW where the water runs when it rains.
1a) prepare for that with culvert and pipe.
2) grade the native undisturbed soil and compact all smooth.
3) lay a base of medium size gravel (57 should be fine)
3a) grade and compact that smooth
At this point almost everyone will be done.
4) Spray hot tar over gravel (a thinner layer or even none at all)
5) Shovel & spread prettier gravel on top of the tar.
or rent Cool Hand Luke before you start