Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Getting the driveway paves, down to two companies...

I'm so confused as to this whole process- especially the part where I've been getting prices ranching from $4,500 to $8,000 for the same driveway. I'm down to two companies, here's the details (I don't know what any of this means). Please read my notes at the bottom before replying. Thanks for reading.

--- COMPANY A ---

Price includes:
- Regrade area using existing stone base
- Spray for vegetation
- Install 2" of ID#3 fine binder

-----Total: $4,474.00

Optional additional service:
- Install additional 1.5" of ID#2 wearing

-----Total: $1,950.00

(price excludes permits, hazard material removal, location of existing utilities [if needed])

--- COMPANY B ---

Prep
- Sawcut existing blacktop edges along [road]
- Place grade stakes and establish grades for paving
- Remove 2"-3" of excesss 2B stone and haul from site
- Furnish and place 2"-3" of 2A modified stone base and compact
- Fine gradre and compact stone base to obtain proper drainage and grade for paving

Asphalt paving
- Pave entire area with a 9.5MM wearing course compacted to a 2" thickness
- Rolling of the same
- Seal ends of pacing with AC-20 oil along [road]

--- TOTAL: $5,600

(price does not include permits/approvals, excavation, rock/concrete removal, any back filling along exposed blacktop edges)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES: Here are my thoughts. For Company A, they want to pave over my existing stone.

This is what my existing stone looks like: http://i.imgur.com/6V0YA.jpg

Also, I have no idea what the "separate price" optional work on Company A entails (Install additional 1.5" of ID#2 wearing). The guy at this company said this is optional, so if I don't take this option Company A is over $1,000 cheaper than company B. If I DO take this option, Company A becomes more expensive than Company B-- and it seems like I'll get much less bang for my buck in that event.

My main concern is using the existing rock. I don't know anything about paving, but Company A is the ONLY company (I got about 7 or 8 quotes) that said they could use the existing rock. Take a look at the pic and tell me what you think.

Company B seems like they include a lot more work, but it is a lot more expensive.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by RiskyBiz13; 03-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.
RiskyBiz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
NOTES: Here are my thoughts. For Company A, they want to pave over my existing stone.

This is what my existing stone looks like: http://i.imgur.com/6V0YA.jpg

Also, I have no idea what the "separate price" optional work on Company A entails (Install additional 1.5" of ID#2 wearing). The guy at this company said this is optional, so if I don't take this option Company A is over $1,000 cheaper than company B. If I DO take this option, Company A becomes more expensive than Company B-- and it seems like I'll get much less bang for my buck in that event.

My main concern is using the existing rock. I don't know anything about paving, but Company A is the ONLY company (I got about 7 or 8 quotes) that said they could use the existing rock. Take a look at the pic and tell me what you think.

Company B seems like they include a lot more work, but it is a lot more expensive.
Ayuh,..... I'd go with company A....

Company B is removin' then replacin' stone.... the bit more dust in the replacement ain't worth the effort...

It's Stone,...
Regrade it, Pound it, 'n Pave it....

The binder in the 1st option is a rougher material, bigger stones, stronger stuff....
The 2nd layer is a wear surface of finer stones, so's it looks smoother, like a hi-way lane...

The single layer drive is 'bout a 10/ 15 year driveway...
The 2 layer is a 15/ 25 year driveway...

Btw,... It's what I do 6 months of the year, for the last 20-odd years...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 520

i also would go with option one. I am in construction,but not paving.

I paved my driveway with similar looking gravel as a base. no problems,3 years and looking good.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys, very helpful! Just to clarify: I go with Company A, but not get the optional additional service.
RiskyBiz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyBiz13 View Post
Thanks guys, very helpful! Just to clarify: I go with Company A, but not get the optional additional service.
Ayuh,.... That depends on whether ya want a 15 year driveway, or a 25 year driveway....
Or,...
Talk it over with the guy,...
Because, Many times, We go in, 'n do the Binder course,...
Then wait a few years to top it out with the finer wear course...
That allows the binder to lay down, 'n settle fully....
When the top is put down,...
Odds are, it will hold up longer, without any settlements, 'n it'll be smoother, longer...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote