Garage Hearth Repair - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage hearth repair

The entrance to our 2-car, 2-door garage is crumbling. The is small debris and large chunks breaking off and it is getting worse. And, under at least one part it appears to be hollow. The pics below show both better than I can explain.

I was hoping that I could simply clean it up (with a sledge and then shop vac) and pour, level and smooth some quikrete (already have 2 red bags of the fast-setting stuff). Does this sound reasonable? Or not? Anything to look it for?
Thanks in advance!

Garage hearth repair-image-1886898867.jpg

Garage hearth repair-image-1614284055.jpg

Garage hearth repair-image-1653348980.jpg

Garage hearth repair-image-2746914712.jpg

Advertisement

dsynadinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage hearth repair

It'll work, but the thing is that you are going to have to get at least 4" of that crap all cleared out. A full 4".

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Garage hearth repair

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, I've got a lot of sledge hammering in my future?

What happens if there are sections that aren't 4" deep.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Garage hearth repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsynadinos View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

So, I've got a lot of sledge hammering in my future?

What happens if there are sections that aren't 4" deep.
Then where the new concrete gets poured thin across those places, it will be weaker, and will eventually begin cracking out again.

Can you look at it right now, and see that it is thin layers that are your problem today? Well, you will just be replicating that situation.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Old School

Garage hearth repair

Something that seems to be like pulling teeth to get across to DIY'ers is that "patching" won't do.

That's what some lazy person did earlier, and why you now have problems.

Take things ALL apart, and redo them right.......... or someone else will be complaining about YOU somewhere in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (06-09-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

Garage hearth repair

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice! Here goes nothing...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Old School

Garage hearth repair

Goodonya!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Old School

Garage hearth repair

People look at my driveway, and tell me how lucky I am.

Hogwash.

My drive is a couple of inches thicker than others around here, is fully meshed with wire, has thickened edges, steel across the 12" deep entry from the street, and has control cracks (grooves) in it every 8' (not 10' or 12' to look bigger)..... AND it had over an hour of steady compaction done before the pour.

"Luck" is spelled $weat.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-08-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #9

Garage hearth repair

Post a pic of your driveway. I'd love to see it!

Here is an updated pic as of 5 minutes ago. I was right about it bring hollow, but I didn't know how much. Those holes are about 2 cinder blocks deep. I've been sweeping the broken up debris into them.
I guess I can fill up the ret with gravel?
Attached Thumbnails
Garage hearth repair-image-1380620015.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Old School

Garage hearth repair

Some people might tell you this is a waste of time, but I would do it anyway.
First of all, take a regular hammer, and knock out all the cross-webbing you can (the 4" block parts running in the direction from the garage to the street)

Then I would buy a long piece of rebar (#5) that will span your whole garage door opening. Make it short enough that it stays 2" away from each end, though.

Lay this rebar down in the trough.

Now go buy a dozen, or so "L" anchors, and tie half with the short part tied to the rebar, letting the long part hang down into the block holes....... and the other six (or so) the opposite way, with the long ends tied to the rebar, and the "L" parts hanging down into the block holes. Tie them with some scrap wire that you figure won't break when the concrete is dumped down in there.

Do this about "every other hole" ie" Long, "L", long, "L", long, "L", long, "L" (One up, one down, one up, one down)

Then, if it isn't already this way due to some uneven block removal, use some scrap metal rods, or some wire, to hold the whole mess up a little so that it will be poured into the new concrete floating about 2" down from where the top surface of the pour will be. Again, as always, keep the ends of these rods a little back fron the edges of the pour. Metal near, or sticking out of any pour will attract moisture, and begin to rust.

I am assuming you already have "expansion material" at the garage, and at the driveway. This isn't really all that important, but it IS important for you to make a lengthwise groove along the garage edge and the driveway edge. This is so that when the edge of the concrete cracks in a few months, right there in a line where the old and new concrete meet, the crack will be "controled" and confined to only this grooved line. It won't be noticed.

That's about it. Oh yeah, "smooth" finish it, don't give it a "broom finish". You want to be able to sweep and clean this area. Broom finishes make this difficult.

Also, make sure you do the finish troweling so that this new trough creates a slight "ramp" to flow rain water back out to the sides and toward the street. You DO NOt want to create a water holding trough here. You'll have to use your eye and common sense here.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-08-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Old School

Garage hearth repair

Quote:

Here is an updated pic as of 5 minutes ago. I was right about it bring hollow, but I didn't know how much. Those holes are about 2 cinder blocks deep. I've been sweeping the broken up debris into them.
No, don't fill these holes with gravel. You will want to fill them at least 12" deep with wet concrete that will harden around those "L" anchors I told you about. And even if you use no anchors, you still need the wet concrete in those holes..
Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Old School

Garage hearth repair

The sorry guys who poured your drive (and maybe your whole slab) cheated you with their cheapness and laziness. Every single one of those holes - all the way around your entire house - should have been filled with concrete.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,164

Garage hearth repair

Quote:

The edge inside the garage needs to be saw cut all the way across,and all the concrete cleaned out to the depth of your floor,for it to be a one time job.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Garage hearth repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
The edge inside the garage needs to be saw cut all the way across,and all the concrete cleaned out to the depth of your floor,for it to be a one time job.
You're absolutely right, and there should be plenty of dowels between the old and new slab. I'd also cap the block with stone or gravel, but ensure there's at least 4" over the block...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Old School

Garage hearth repair

I'd still say to pour down into the blocks. After all you are driving a car, day after day, over exactly the same tiny strip of fairly non-supporting topping in that narrow strip you are patching. A few dollars more to let that concrete go down into those blocks. Pretty cheap insurance.

Advertisement