Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Floor Slope Question

Hello,

This is a very dump question. We have an attached two car garage with the size of about 21' X 21'. At a very rare occasion, I measured the slope on both sides of the garage. One side is about 4.5" and the other side is around 5.4".

So I did more measurement in the garage. It seems to be one side of garage floor is a little bit tilt towards the wall, which means on one side, the middle of garage is slightly higher. I also checked the water stain on the floor. I saw on the half side with 5.4" slope, some traces of water stain are towards to the side although majority are towards to the garage door.

Beside one crack right in the middle of garage slab, which has been there since we purchased house six years ago, there is no other large cracks on the floor. Is there anything I should worry about? This is six year old house.

Thanks.

shiyang100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

I assume the floor slopes 4 1/2" over 21', which is a bit less than 1/4"/foot. 1/4" per foot would be 21/4 or 5 1/4".

I didn't see your location and I'm guessing that you are a first time homeowner, so I'm going to tell you that garages may be sloped towards the front to drain water out the front. Often in colder climates, ice boogers will drop off the cars in the garage and pools of water will form.

I've never had a floor which slopes, so I don't know what happens next. My garage in the past weeks has had pools of water in it, and I suspect if they drained towards the overhead door, they would refreeze along the door threshold and the door would not open.

Another reason to slope the slab towards the front would be so that you can hose out the garage with water. This is all fine and dandy if you have a bit of a concrete stem wall before your framed wall begins. Otherwise, good luck.

I wouldn't worry about your floor. If it drains towards the wall in one area, don't hose it out unless you have some stem wall. You always have to be ready with a broom when you are hosing out a garage also.

cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
JOATMON

My garage is 25' long.....and slopes about 1" total. The only time there is water in it is when I wash it out. 1" is more than enough....4.5" is way enough....

Your fine...after all....it's just a garage.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

Thanks guys.

I think 4-5" slope should be fine with 21' garage. Since we got some snow yesterday, I spent some time last night to check where melted snow went. On the side with smaller slope, everything was fine. Water went straight to the garage door. On the side with larger slope, most went to the garage door. However at two places along the wall as well as that corner, there were some standing water. I touched the floor and could tell those two spots and corner were a little lower so water could stay. Of course, another issue is water, despite of small amount, did drain to the side instead of going straight to garage door as the other half of garage. It could well be like this from the beginning since I didn't see any other major cracks besides the one right in the middle of garage slab, which has been there since we purchased house six years ago.
shiyang100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

Please put your location in your profile.

I can't imagine in my climate that water would flow out the door. I think it would create a mess on the driveway if it did flow out the door.

We're looking at -8 F tomorrow and the only reason why boogers fall off the car is because they are salt/ice boogers.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Please put your location in your profile.

I can't imagine in my climate that water would flow out the door. I think it would create a mess on the driveway if it did flow out the door.

We're looking at -8 F tomorrow and the only reason why boogers fall off the car is because they are salt/ice boogers.
It isn't anymore "balmy" here in Wisconsin, and I'd guess that 90% of floors are pitched to the overhead door. There's yet to be a trade that deals with the thawing out of frozen garage doors, so I doubt it's an issue in reality. Remember, those "boogers" are indeed full of salt, which has alot lower freeze point than water. Not to mention, most of the water is absorbed into the floor or evaporates before it gets to the door......

To the OP: If you're worried that the floor is moving, you should be able to see some evidence of where the floor was originally poured, ie: chalklines on the wall, a pencil mark or two, a concrete "slop" line, etc........

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote