Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

Share |

garage floor - rough, bad pour - fix?

Hey all,

My home was built in 1998 and we bought in 2010. All my neighbors have that chalky, perfectly smooth concrete floor in their garages. But mine, however, is really rough. It looks like something was laid on it when it was still wet concrete, then pulled off. You can see strange patterns in it. It's also quite chunky. Also, when I clean the garage or blow it out, I'd swear concrete dust comes up from it, like weaker parts are slowly grinding away under feet, cars and riding mower weight, leaving tiny mountains of stronger stuff/rocks of concrete.

In my previous home, I put that Rustoleam painted floor stuff down with the specks. That's amazing stuff I highly recommend.

However - I cannot do that with the rough current state of my garage floor.

Is there anything I can do myself to smooth it, so then I can paint it? Or do I need to hire somebody? Perhaps there is a product that will smooth the roughness and put a finish on it as the same time?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #2

Got a picture?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #3

conc's not supposed to be ' chalky ',,, entry-level for smooth is power-troweling for basic finish,,, 'chunky' ?,,, soft cement paste wears away leaving visible fine & coarse aggregates.

that ' Rustoleam ' painted floor stuff is water-based epoxy & vinyl chips are 'specks',,, if you think its amazing, fine its cheap both in cost & performance however you're satisfied

your floor needs diamond grinding then densified - its not a candidate for epoxy or overlay NOR is it likely diy'er will succeed,,, there are pigments to color densifiers
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote