Garage Floor Cracks - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Garage floor cracks

Im in the process of finishing my garage. Below I posted a few pics of the floor. The floor is not level and has areas where the concrete has cracked. My plan is to fill the joints with a vinyl expanding concrete filler, and then pour a self leveler over the areas that has cracked and that's un level. Are these the right steps to take to get a smooth garage floor? Because I'm planning on finishing the floor with an epoxy paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage floor cracks-image-2073065685.jpg   Garage floor cracks-image-2656949802.jpg   Garage floor cracks-image-121004734.jpg   Garage floor cracks-image-944800962.jpg  

Advertisement

Jaosnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,462

Garage floor cracks

see what happens when contraction joints are not installed ? your plan sucks stay outta the apron/vest stores - those guys don't know ***t nor will they help plan to diamond saw a proper full/depth joint pattern then make necessary crack repairs properly w/epoxies - diamond grind the floor level even if you don't want to flatten it. THEN apply the epoxy coating there are no epoxy paints worth a damn & water-based epoxies aren't much better,,, there ARE coatings that will work well - suggest you apply an urethane overcoat to protect the epoxy.

you're biting off a big chunk of technical work if you're inexperienced w/proper conc reprs but you can do it IF you take your time & educate yourself 1st - good luck !

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 624

Garage floor cracks

I would abort that floor and pour a new one.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage floor cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
see what happens when contraction joints are not installed ? your plan sucks stay outta the apron/vest stores - those guys don't know ***t nor will they help plan to diamond saw a proper full/depth joint pattern then make necessary crack repairs properly w/epoxies - diamond grind the floor level even if you don't want to flatten it. THEN apply the epoxy coating there are no epoxy paints worth a damn & water-based epoxies aren't much better,,, there ARE coatings that will work well - suggest you apply an urethane overcoat to protect the epoxy.

you're biting off a big chunk of technical work if you're inexperienced w/proper conc reprs but you can do it IF you take your time & educate yourself 1st - good luck !

WOW.....now say what you really mean!!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Garage floor cracks

Is your garage floor always wet like that, if so paint will not bond. Also, you are going to have a lot of acid washing to get that grease and oil off if you want the epoxy floor paint to have a chance to stick. I would get a grinder and grind your whole floor, remove the oil and make level, patch with cement crack repair stuff, no caulk tube stuff and then try and paint.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Garage floor cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwgsx
Is your garage floor always wet like that, if so paint will not bond. Also, you are going to have a lot of acid washing to get that grease and oil off if you want the epoxy floor paint to have a chance to stick. I would get a grinder and grind your whole floor, remove the oil and make level, patch with cement crack repair stuff, no caulk tube stuff and then try and paint.
It's not always wet like that, just when it's humid out.....or even when water comes off the car when it's raining out. For some reason the whole floor looks wet like that. I though it was from the air. Actually I don't have any grease or oil on the floor. Dont really know why it's darker in some areas. I really dont want to break up the whole floor and pour a new one. I think ima grind the whole floor as suggested. Here's a pic of my floor right now
Attached Thumbnails
Garage floor cracks-image-3453953352.jpg   Garage floor cracks-image-1486186500.jpg  
Jaosnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage floor cracks

Might look into epoxy products for cracks and leveling the surface from Abatron. I have use their products for ages. They are not cheap but they work well.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre...intenance.html

I agree you should cut in some expansion grooves or the slab will have to crack somewhere else.

Have you gotten an estimate on having someone come out and give you an estimate on a coated floor? They have the equipment in the truck to mix parts A&B and give you whatever color, pattern you want. You may find they are not much more or even cheaper than buying epoxy and attempting this yourself.

If you do do this yourself, make sure you check the expiration date on the epoxy components.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote