Gaps Under Sills, Should I Be Really Concerned? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gaps under sills, should I be really concerned?

I am hoping somebody with the right expertise might be able to address some concerns I had with a recent home inspection of a house my wife and I are looking to buy.
I will write what the inspector wrote for the FLOORS/SILLS

Condition: -Gap under sills
There has been some damage to the sill plate in the past under the east living room. It appears that the sill plate was originally below grade and most likely rotted out. A poor attempt at a repair was made as the sill plate is elevated with little support in some areas as well as being very wavy. I recommend that you do further evaluation to determine if further repairs will be necessary.
Task: Further Evaluation Needed
Time: Immediate

I greatly appreciate any input! I would like to know if this is a deal breaker or if this is easily fixable. And if it does require a professional what would a rough estimate be for cost?
I live in British Columbia, Canada.
The house was built in 1984. The rest of the house is quite structurally sound. The one section/corner of the house sitting above these sill gaps was found to have level/straight floor inside the house. So no sagging yet.

Pictures:

Advertisement

scubaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Gaps under sills, should I be really concerned?

Where in BC (I'm in Squamish)?
The photo showing the exterior seems to show the siding going all the way down to that concrete pad. Siding should NEVER be in contact with the ground as it will rot and discolor. That does not meet basic BC building code.
Is the sill plate level with the bottom of the siding or is there a foundation wall a few inches up under the bottom row of siding, with the sill then on top of that?

Advertisement

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation , gap , joists , sill , sills