DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Concrete, Stone & Masonry (
-   -   Gaps in Brickwork!! (

itdel11 10-07-2012 04:59 AM

Gaps in Brickwork!!
I've recently moved into a new house and on the outside brickwork I have found a gap in the mortar, its about a cm wide and goes in about an inch and a half. Its quite low to the ground so I'm a bit concerned about damp. Has anyone got any advice as to the best type of fillers? Or would it be better to leave it so as not to trap any further moisture within??

Thanks in advance......

oh'mike 10-07-2012 06:15 AM

Post a picture---you are describing a weep hole----which is needed---however you may have a flaw---do let us know more about the gap-----

joecaption 10-07-2012 07:18 AM

Look something like this?

If so it has to be there so water traped behind the brick can get out.
They do sell mesh covers for them to help keep insects out, or you can make your own out of nylon mesh.

itdel11 10-07-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks for both answers and yes I would definatly say it looks like a weep hole, as there are a few others sort of eavery third brick along.

There's a similair gap that is between the windown frame and top of the brick work, which looks like it goes back about an inch. I take it this isn't supposed to be there, would silicone be the best for filling this?

notmrjohn 10-07-2012 11:31 AM

"between the windown frame and top of the brick work" That one probably is not supposed to be there. But a pic is needed to be sure.

There are "caulks" sold specifically as mortar patches. May be in paint dept or masonry dept of HD, Lowe's etc. colors may match mortar. Or small box of mortar patch, mix with water, coloring additives available, box could be handy to have around. Clean out gap, remove loose mortar, dirt etc. May need chisel to remove mortar.dampen area with water. If you don't have trowels pack patch into gap with thin wood slats etc. A wet dowel or small pipe can be used to repoint patch.

jomama45 10-07-2012 07:02 PM

Take a picture of the upper ones, weeps over the window lintel is generally a good construction practice..........

itdel11 10-08-2012 03:19 AM

Thanks again, will upload some pics when I find which box the camera's in. Just to give a bit more of a description, the window were talking about is a bay window and the gap is underneath between the top of the brickwork and window frame.....

notmrjohn 10-08-2012 09:12 AM

Is this gap under window vertical or horizontal?

Weep holes over windows and doors are pretty rare around here. Generally speaking, itdel, if the gap is vertical, a row of them about 3' apart, and in the first course of bricks above a horizontal surface (foundation, lintel, an "out jutting" member, etc., its a weep hole. There should be some kind of flashing below and behind the weep hole course of masonry.

Bay windows are often relatively low at bottoms and it may be that gap under it is regular weep hole, may be a row or two of brick below it as brick veneer is often brought down over foundation. Improper installation of bay windows is common, bad flashing , lack of needed weepers at top, can cause moisture problems with them. All sorts of kwick fixes are attempted. The gap at bottom may be one of those attempts.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1