Gap In Concrete - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gap in concrete

My dad's sidewalk runs along side of his garage block wall. It has a 1/2 - 3/4 gap between them. I'm thinking that the expansion joint board either rotted or sunk. Or maybe it didn't have an expansion joint board and the sidewalk moved. I don't really know. Any suggestions on how to close the gap? Hydraulic cement? Stuff an expansion joint in there? Rope caulk? Foam?

Advertisement

budedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gap in concrete

pressure treated wood stripes cut to lenght then tap them in.don't know it concrete stops expanding once cured hard.,but might consider a concrete mix like syrup consistancy and pour it into the cracks.doing a first light pour then another to build it up..and definitly hose nozzle the spaces prior to anything to clear them out.did you notice that at one point there was no spaces as the years passed they appeared?

Advertisement

Last edited by biggles; 07-16-2012 at 10:41 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #3

Gap in concrete

I only visit my dad once a year so I can't say what has happened. All I know is there is a gap there now and because he lives in a snow belt (some years 18 feet of snow) it's important to seal the crack somehow.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 258

Gap in concrete

What I did on my Garage/sidewalk is sweep some sand until its about 1/2 inch below.

Then I used "Driveway Crack sealer" to almost the top. (from Home Depot)

From my experience the black stuff works better than the grey stuff. The Grey stuff seems to crack faster.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Gap in concrete

That'd be a lot of crack filler. The crack is 1/2" - 3/4" wide and the entire length of the garage which is about 30 feet. I didn't think crack filler was designed to fill more that 1/4" wide cracks. Is that correct? Or maybe you're talking about a different product?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gap in concrete

hammer some wood strips at both ends of the spaces and fill with cement..just pour it in let it seek its own level
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,164

Gap in concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by budedm View Post
I only visit my dad once a year so I can't say what has happened. All I know is there is a gap there now and because he lives in a snow belt (some years 18 feet of snow) it's important to seal the crack somehow.

What's on the other side of the sidewalk?
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 152

Gap in concrete

Concrete will usually pull away from any masonry regardless if there is expansion material or not. Your best bet would be to fill the gap with "backer rod" then caulk with elastomeric caulk.

As far as the other ideas that have been posted...GL
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 31

Gap in concrete

Flexible backer rod and caulk. Pro Seal 34 or the like (http://www.prosealproducts.com/produ...ay1.asp?id=278) will work great.
Plump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 776

Gap in concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
hammer some wood strips at both ends of the spaces and fill with cement..just pour it in let it seek its own level
Especially in an area that experiences freezing like you mentioned this solution will not work well! Whatever you install in the gaps needs to remain flexible so it can expand and contract as the concrete moves during the year.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote