Front Door Walkway - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Always learning

Rewards Points: 10

Front door walkway

I am having a problem with the rocks and cement coming apart at the front door. It is a stone/concrete walkway that leads up to a front step up that is also all stone/concrete. It is an older setup from when we bought the house, but now the concrete is chipping away as if it has finally seen its last days and the rock is falling away. If you can tell on the picture, it is a half circle stonework setup with two steps up. It is starting to break away from both steps ups and chipping away at the surface on top when it levels off.

What I would like to see is if anyone has any ideas/suggestions with pictures preferably that shows options on what I can do to totally redress this entrance. If you want to link to a similar project, show me pictures, explain away however you want, it would be greatly appreciated! Any help on this situation or if you need me to provide a closer picture, let me know. Thanks in advance, and I hope anyone can lend some ideas to this problem.

Front walkway step-up:

Advertisement

devil dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Front door walkway

That sure looks like some DIY thrown together thing to me.
Complete demo and have a real stone mason redo it is what I would suggest.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (03-04-2013), gregzoll (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Always learning

Front door walkway

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That sure looks like some DIY thrown together thing to me.
Complete demo and have a real stone mason redo it is what I would suggest.
Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. It was there when I bought it, so what I'm looking to do is do it myself, I just need some suggestions. My thoughts, too, were to totally demo it and remove and start over. I'm open to suggestions on what would look nice: either restone it, wood entrance, stained concrete only, or other look.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 672

Front door walkway

What's that wood thing to the left of the stoop?
That stoop never should have been that close to the doors threshold. It should have been a minimum of 4" below it.
Wall needed to be water proofed behind it.
Should never be in direct contact with the side of the house.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Always learning

Front door walkway

It's just a facing, mainly decoration when the house was resided. The stoop was already there, so yeah I agree. I think it's old aluminum siding behind the stonework, but none of it is touching the new hardy plank siding. When the house was resided, it was basically worked around this setup.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,504

Front door walkway

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil dog View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. It was there when I bought it, so what I'm looking to do is do it myself, I just need some suggestions. My thoughts, too, were to totally demo it and remove and start over. I'm open to suggestions on what would look nice: either restone it, wood entrance, stained concrete only, or other look.
Another vote to demo that whole disaster and do it correct from the start. The picture speaks volumes that it was a bad DIY job from the start.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote