French Drain Or Gutter Downspout? - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

French drain or gutter downspout?

Hello,

Just had foundation replaced on small addition and getting ready to backfill it. Due to grading issues, drain pipe had to come in only about 5" below top of new floor (white pipe in picture). Drain discharges at back of property onto alleyway.

1) Would you suggest running a french drain around addition (tied into drain I ran) and having gutter downspout discharge into french drain area

- or -

2) Skip french drain and simply tie gutter downspout into drain (Gutter downspout puts out a good amount of water)

Advertisement

stevekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 562

If you have a water issue where your basement drain will be in frequent use, I would run a separate pipe parallel to the current drain pipe. You state the downspout puts out a lot of water. IMO, there's a risk of exceeding the pipe's capacity if you tie the gutter into the single pipe.

Since you have an open trench, I would put the gutter into its own drain pipe down to the alleyway.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

Just to clarify, the drain I ran is separate from the sewer main. It is only for moving water away from this addition. I guess what I am asking is, if you had to pick either option, which one would be preferred. Unfortunately I cannot run another pipe (1 for french drain & 1 for downspout) so I'm forced to pick 1. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #4

Do you need a French drain? If you don't put it in, will you have water problems in your basement? That dictates what you do.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

I'm not sure if I need a french drain or not, I just bought the house and never lived there.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #6

Is most of the foundation above grade? Putting in the drain can't hurt. It's just an added expense. Then tie it all together.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,458

everything's open right now so there's no better time to do anything,,, just don't backfill w/dirt - use clean crush'd stone ( # 57 ),,, & WATERPROOF all the wall that's belowgrade,,, buy some sika/sonneborn hlm5000 or equal - NOT the sh** sold in apron/vest stores

before backfilling, cover the stone w/soil erosion cloth for the best way to keep silt & fines out of the drainage system,,, we also put in cleanouts but that's up to you

good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

If you can only have one, I'd use the pipe you already dug in for the down spouts. I would still draintile the exterior of those new walls though (with damproof coating and stone over the draintile), and the tile look like they'll still exit above grade.

In a perfect world, you'd run another pipe parallel to the current pipe to run the draintile away from the house as well........

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote