Foundation Wall Leak Where Main Enters House - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 137

Foundation Wall Leak where Main Enters House

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure where to post this question, figured I'll try here first. After a lot of rain last night the ground was fully saturated and I noticed water penetrating my foundation around where my water main pipe enters the house. I'm preparing to finish my basement and obviously want things water tight. Do I need to excavate to the outside and seal, or is there anything else I can do? Someone recommended using a liquid concrete or epoxy from inside the basement, but I don't see how that would work if applied from the interior. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Thank you

Advertisement

Last edited by Jim Ignatowski; 06-08-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Jim Ignatowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,308

[QUOTE=Jim Ignatowski;1197633]
I noticed water penetrating my foundation was around where my water main pipe enters the house. ... Do I need to excavate to the outside and seal ... ?
Swag number: in 90% of the cases... nothing else is gonna do it.

Quote:
Someone recommended using a liquid concrete or epoxy from inside...
Never used or seen it. Does this someone have more detail?

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I imagine anything is going to have to be done where the water first enters... outside.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,472

it seems ' epoxy ' has become kind of a generic name for all sorts of exotic stuff,,, we use polurethane grout to seal cracks in conc & leaking utility penetrations,,, ck w/any const supply house ( NO, that doesn't mean an apron/vest store ),,, you should be able to get a tube for under $ 40 + the cost of the injection gun ( roughly $ 130 ),,, OR you might try hydraulic cement which may work well

Last edited by stadry; 06-09-2013 at 07:00 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #5

Thank you for the suggestion. Is this applied from the interior wall? I had someone else suggest hydraulic cement. Do you have a preference between the two? Since the leak is coming from around the water main pipe, there isn't much of a gap to inject anything.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,472

there are 2 recognized ways to resolve this problem,,, dig & patch OUTSIDE or patch/inject inside - that's it ! there airn't no mo'

my preference is polyurethane grout injection 'cause we make good $$$ from it we can iject crks down to .002" so i would worry about a penetration

your preferencs might be hydraulic cement 'cause 5# is only $ 12 - $ 14 + a margin trowel,,, makes more sense to me IF i were in your shoes

Last edited by stadry; 06-09-2013 at 07:00 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

Thanks again. Any chance the expansion of either of these materials would impact the water main pipe? I'm actually considering purchasing the injector as the opening around the pipe is barely noticeable.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
Thanks again. Any chance the expansion of either of these materials would impact the water main pipe? I'm actually considering purchasing the injector as the opening around the pipe is barely noticeable.

No neither one will impact the pipe,and since the opening is that small,i'd agree with your choice of injection.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete sealant , foundation wall , leak