Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Share |

Foundation Question..

I have what seems like a separation of my cinder block wall and what i would guess is back fill or concrete or something.

My question would be, Should i fill this void with some high density concrete i have or should i fill it with something else??

I also think i have a little neighbor who found a home in there. I know I need to get them out of there before i try anything.

Suggestions???

Here a little more info;
We just bought the home in September. It was built in the 60's - 70's, nice fixer upper.We had the home inspected in April 2012 and the inspector didnt pick up this space because it was under some drainage rocks. At the corner of the home, there is a space I guess you can call it, where the home sperated from the foundation. The inspector said that the home settled and somehow seperated.

So I would have to go back to my question.

Should i fill this void with some high density concrete i have or should i fill it with something else??
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Question..-dscn2725.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2730.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2726.jpg  

Last edited by Harlem_Guy; 10-22-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Updated information
Harlem_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #2

Foundation Question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem_Guy View Post
I have what seems like a separation of my cinder block wall and what i would guess is back fill or concrete or something.

My question would be, Should i fill this void with some high density concrete i have or should i fill it with something else??

I also think i have a little neighbor who found a home in there. I know I need to get them out of there before i try anything.

Suggestions???

Here a little more info;
We just bought the home in September. It was built in the 60's - 70's, nice fixer upper.We had the home inspected in April 2012 and the inspector didnt pick up this space because it was under some drainage rocks. At the corner of the home, there is a space I guess you can call it, where the home sperated from the foundation. The inspector said that the home settled and somehow seperated.

So I would have to go back to my question.

Should i fill this void with some high density concrete i have or should i fill it with something else??

If it's seperated from the foundation,you best have a structual engineer have a look at it.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Foundation Question..

Thans for the reply.

Not to sure if it's the foundation or not. Just looks like it should be attached, lol.

Do you think I should fill it?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Foundation Question..

How about posting a picture from farther away? I'm not understanding what the rough concrete curb looking thing is. It doesn't look like a foundation.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Foundation Question..

this may be a better view of it

Foundation Question..-dscn2721.jpg

Foundation Question..-dscn2730.jpg
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #6

Foundation Question..

this is a corner view
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Question..-dscn2251.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2315.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2732.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Foundation Question..

The top group of pictureds looks like something that was poured in place against the foundation wall and which has been pushed away by moisture getting behind it and freezing. If you dig around it, can you verify that it is set deep like a foundation wall? The picture showing the corner of two walls looks like a block in the foundation has pushed out. Do you have access to the inside of that wall? If so, what is happening on the inside? Is it only one block pushed out or is it the whole wall that has shifted below grade? It's a pretty nasty shift and at an odd place for only one block. Was this possibly a porch that was later closed in?

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 10-24-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Foundation Question..

The picture of the corner is "textbook" example of settlement of the below-grade foundation, typical of a missing downspout. If the problem has been corrected, go ahead and tuckpoint it full of mortar.......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #9

Foundation Question..

thanks for replying guys,
the speration by the wall is all concrete, and i can't dig it up.
As far as the corner goes, i sealed one side of it already with spray foam insulation ( i know it's crazy), and hydrolic cement.
I dug below grade about a foot, and sealed any hole I found with hydrolic cement.
Then covered the wall with type s mortar mix (thanks to all of the DIY forum threads i read!!! ), and drylok. Only got one coat one before the rain started the next day. Since then it's been raining off and on every other day.

As far as the inside of the wall, it's wood paneling. Not even wood, not sure what material it is. I need to remove the paneling, but I have water baseboard heaters. Not really gonna start with the boiler yet, too much to soon with that, lol.

I found a hole that i gues would have been from the corner displacement, and when i looked, it was a hole chewed through the cinder, so I know it's some type of little furry guy living in my wall.

He's next on the agenda. Got my cat on the case, lol
ere's some pics of what i did to the wall:
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Question..-dscn1991.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn1997.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2005.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2254.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #10

Foundation Question..

Spray foamed the cracks until the foam poured out some, and I also scraped the loose mortar off.
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Question..-dscn2448.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2449.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2547.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2548.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2550.jpg  

Foundation Question..-dscn2558.jpg  

Last edited by Harlem_Guy; 10-25-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: updated
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #11

Foundation Question..

Continued from last set of pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Question..-dscn2574.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2585.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2589.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2592.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2594.jpg  

Foundation Question..-dscn2595.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #12

Foundation Question..

Continued:
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Question..-dscn2599.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2602.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2604.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2608.jpg   Foundation Question..-dscn2610.jpg  

Foundation Question..-dscn2622.jpg  

Tags
cinder block, concrete block wall