Foundation Is Off One Inch - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation is off one inch

Hello, the house im looking to buy has one wall that is in level by one inch due to water pressure against the wall. The house was built in 1941 and we plan on fixing the water problem as soon as we buy the house with a French drain?

I'm here to check if the one inch movement could result in a major problem? The inspector said no. The other walls were fine as well

Advertisement

hi2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

I see no way someone here could say one way or the other. You need someone on site.
I'd never take the word of the inspector on something that can get real expencive real fast and as important as a foundation is.
I'd get some real quotes before making an offer.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2u View Post
Hello, the house im looking to buy has one wall that is in level by one inch due to water pressure against the wall. The house was built in 1941 and we plan on fixing the water problem as soon as we buy the house with a French drain?

I'm here to check if the one inch movement could result in a major problem? The inspector said no. The other walls were fine as well
I don't really understand what is wrong, but I will say this from painful experience--when it comes to unglamorous things like foundations or beams, you will receive ZERO back from improvements made vs. "retail". So make sure that whatever you are considering paying for this house fully accounts for all your unknown risk and uncertain costs (which almost always be MORE than you expect)

A house up the road from me had termite damage. I was looking to buy it, I felt like it was $340K at the time, without the termite damage... the people selling felt like it was worth $360K. They had an estimate in hand for $30K to replace the main beam and some joists repairs due to the termites... there was no way i was paying a dime north $300K for a house like that because I knew what a headache it would be. Someone eventually did buy it for $350K and I feel sorry for them every day because it's 2+ years later and there is still foundation work being done... when it comes to beams and foundations you are writing a BIG check, and at the end of the day all your get back is that your house is exactly the same as every other house.

Last edited by bubbler; 06-25-2012 at 03:39 PM.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Very unusual post. No inspector has any business offering an opinion on the structural significance of foundation issues, all they are qualified to do is to point out the problem, unless they happen to be a professional structural engineer, in which case it is unlikely they are performing routine inspections. Perhaps the inspector you are referring to was not hired by you? In which case they still have no business offering structural opinions, but maybe they feel they are doing the owner a favor by telling you that it is not a problem.

In any case of potential structural issues, you need to hire YOUR OWN inspector, who may recommend a consultation with a professional engineer if they believe there is a structural issue. Getting advice over the internet regarding the significance of a potential structural issue is a very bad plan.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 628

How can you use a french drain to buy a house?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 152

i AGREE. Dont rely on an inspector. Get a estimate from an engineer or structural repair company. I would say 1 inch isnt bad for a 70 year old home. It most likely will continue to settle, Possibly 1/4 inch a year.

Can you explain in better detail about this water issue that was deemed the culprit ? Is water getting underneath the slab/footer? Sounds like you need to re grade the property, cut a swail and maybe install gutters if there already on?

Advertisement

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote