Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Share |

Foundation help! FieldStone

My friends home built in 1895 has a stone foundation. Recently, a worker from a gas company working in her basement raised some concern about the condition of the foundation. I came to look, but I know nothing about these foundations. We are going to contact someone to look at this - I'm thinking structural engineer. In the interim, I'm trying to find out as much as possible.

These are not the greatest pictures:

The problems:

The mortar is bad. It's crumbling, turning to sand and the stones are loosening. Daylight is visible.

The gas worker said they believe the foundation is bowing. It certainly appears to be bowed inward, but my fiend doesn't go down there very much and doesn't know if it's always been that way or not - she had a home inspection done before buying the home 4 years ago. I don't know if this is a normal thing for these foundations to look like that.

There are no sloping floors, cracked walls, or general misalignment up stairs at all.

I'm not sure who would be best to have look at this?

This is really the front wall only, the back and sides look good.

Any advice or help or whatever.

Last edited by J187; 07-31-2013 at 09:48 AM.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

i'd call a pe who specializes in structural work & has experience w/old houses,,, he's out there - just be sure he's got gray hair IF you call a bsmt waterproofing co, they'll also have experience w/them but their job is to sell,,, she/you can rest assured the home's foundation wasn't built so it bowed maybe you can get tom silva or norm to look ?

at worst, it needs to be rebuilt - good luck !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

Thanks! I had the idea to call a preservation society that handles several historic homes in the area and get references for who they use for this type of thing. I'm pursuing that now.

I was mostly just trying to get a feel on my own for things to follow along. Thanks for the help. I had a feeling that it wasn't supposed to look that way, but it's hard to tell since the stone stacking is such an inexact thing.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #4

where in Mass may I ask? Building official would be an excellent source of information regarding recommendations for design professionals.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

What's going on on the other side of that wall. Two possible causes of serious structural issues on a wall are repeated vehicle traffic on the ground immediately outside of it and settlement issues from poor rainwater drainage.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote