Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #1

Share |

Foundation Extension - Removing a Door

Hey Guys!

I've asked a question about preparation for this in the past but now we're in the meat of it. I've attached a handful of pictures (one before, a couple current inside and a couple current outside).

We're removing a bi-level door and leveling off the floor in a rental property. I have my concrete guy coming on Monday to form it up and pour in the concrete. The area is 3'x3'x9" (not positive on the depth, but give or take an inch).

My questions:

You'll notice the bottom portion of the door frame is rough. There was water seeping through a crack in the step. Should this be cut off and smooth before pouring new concrete, or just cleaned up and loose stuff removed?

He's planning on using 3 sections of 1/2" rebar vertical, and three more horizontal. He didn't seem to know how far INTO the existing foundation they should go. My assumption is 6". Thoughts?

Waterproofing. I'm concerned about water getting in between the seems of the old and new concrete. Is the best bet a heavy duty caulking? Is there something we can put on the existing concrete (an epoxy or something similar) to help with the bond?

Lastly - Forms. He's using 3/4" plywood. I think I'm going to have him add a 2x8 brace or something to keep it from bowing. Overkill? I just can't imagine the 3/4" plywood staying straight under that weight.

Thanks for your help guys. Definitely coming along.

Forgot the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Extension - Removing a Door-2.jpg   Foundation Extension - Removing a Door-1.jpg   Foundation Extension - Removing a Door-6.jpg   Foundation Extension - Removing a Door-3.jpg   Foundation Extension - Removing a Door-4.jpg  

Foundation Extension - Removing a Door-5.jpg  

Last edited by dclay79; 09-13-2012 at 11:15 AM.
dclay79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclay79 View Post
Hey Guys!

I've asked a question about preparation for this in the past but now we're in the meat of it. I've attached a handful of pictures (one before, a couple current inside and a couple current outside).

We're removing a bi-level door and leveling off the floor in a rental property. I have my concrete guy coming on Monday to form it up and pour in the concrete. The area is 3'x3'x9" (not positive on the depth, but give or take an inch).

My questions:

You'll notice the bottom portion of the door frame is rough. There was water seeping through a crack in the step. Should this be cut off and smooth before pouring new concrete, or just cleaned up and loose stuff removed?

He's planning on using 3 sections of 1/2" rebar vertical, and three more horizontal. He didn't seem to know how far INTO the existing foundation they should go. My assumption is 6". Thoughts?

Waterproofing. I'm concerned about water getting in between the seems of the old and new concrete. Is the best bet a heavy duty caulking? Is there something we can put on the existing concrete (an epoxy or something similar) to help with the bond?

Lastly - Forms. He's using 3/4" plywood. I think I'm going to have him add a 2x8 brace or something to keep it from bowing. Overkill? I just can't imagine the 3/4" plywood staying straight under that weight.

Thanks for your help guys. Definitely coming along.

Forgot the pictures:

Better to leave the bottom part of the door rough,new concrete will bond easier,and use a bonding agent or slurry here also.

Rebar should be epoxied in,6 inches is enough.

You can use a bonding agent,or mix a cement slurry to help the bonding.

3/4 inch ply is normal,but braceing never hurts,better to be safe than sorry.

Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #3

Awesome, thanks for the help.
dclay79 is offline   Reply With Quote