Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

Foundation excavation...garage?

Hey all,
I've been having basement floods from the wall in the basement between the house and the garage. This foundation only goes 4feet deep and when I bought the house, I noticed a black weeping tile sticking out of the crawl space coming from under the garage. Water is coming out of the mortar between the concrete blocks and the contractor has done the typical interior waterproofing. I have attached photos. I'm going to excavate around the garage and waterproof it (previous post) but I am wondering why this weeping tile is on the interior of the foundation, could it be that the garage is sitting on a slab (then why is there a separating wall that's going 4 feet deep). When the contractor excavated the outside front entrance, he didn't see the weeping tile that was leading into the house... Would this pipe be running around the garage and then from some reason going underneath the foundation and to the house... Any idea of what you guys think would be great as it will help me plan ahead for the excavation in the spring.

First photo: that's the pipe that was sticking out originally, and the two walls (the wall on the left is the garage side and the wall on the right is the front entrance), both were leakign from the joints

Second photo: That's the garage wall continuning from the first photo past the wood section from the first photo and there was small leaks from the joints there as well

third photo: that's the garage area, that slab of concrete is cracked and I am wondering if that is a sign that water is causing damage.

Fourth photo: the leak is coming in from the wall under the front door slab and the side wall that you cannot see from outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation excavation...garage?-p7020074.jpg   Foundation excavation...garage?-img-20120811-wa0001.jpg   Foundation excavation...garage?-rps20120915_130149.jpg   Foundation excavation...garage?-p7020006-2.jpg  

Last edited by indep; 01-18-2013 at 10:09 AM.
indep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #2

Could be you have a weeping tile system inside the foundation,but that requires a sump pump,and you only have a piece of flex pipe sticking up.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

But why would there be a weeping tile on the inside of the foundation? It would have made a lot more sense to have it on the outside and connect it to the outside existing weeping tile
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

I agree,but why is that pipe sticking up,maybe a half a$$ed diy version of weeping tile???
Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

it was part of the garage addition... no idea what they did so I will have to excavate all around... I'm hoping there's a foundation with a footing so that I can put the waterproof membrane and not just a slab, which would make things interesting

no idea how the garage foundation was built until i excavate
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

If the garage is an addition,there may not be a foundation,just a slab on grade.