Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

footing and foundation for garage

what size footing for 25' x 30' x 8' garage ?

augie1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

You need to discuss this with your building inspector, as the required size is dictated by code in most jurisdictions.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

Well if your soil is crap it's going to be big, if you soil is not crap then it'll be regular. But I am sure the foundation design will spec it out properly, check that.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #4

Boy this is not the site to ask that question just for liability reasons alone. Some one here could give you real bad advice go to your building dept and talk with a inspector and have your plans submitted and approved and a permit pulled. the the building inspector will write on your plans with red ink telling you how much Rebar and what size to use. the right type size of footings, the height of the stem wall if it has to be a mono pour of footings and stem wall at once etc... Get the picture? Sorry to sould like a Ahole but what I just told you will help you out way more and save you a whole lot of money.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Some are 8" wide, some 24", and in between. What nailbags said, though perhaps abruptly, is the best to do: See your building department, AND have someone identify the soil type at YOUR particular location. "Dirt" can change its composition drastically in 10'. Often, a 30' to 50' drilling is required just for that reason. I don't think nailbags is part of a militia, but I am. Why?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
JOATMON

I won't get into the above pissing match.....at least you were not asking "How Much"

To answer the OP's question.....to some extent it depends on your area....for example, if you have expansive soil....

I built a 20x25 garage a few years ago....adobe soil.....footing was 18" wide, 2' deep.....with stem walls 8" high...7" wide.

Also note that my garage is 2 stories....

Per the Los Angeles county building standards....15" for 1 story, 18" for 2 story.

You can see pics of my foundation in the link in my signature....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #7

Posts have been removed as breaking forum rules. Please remember to "treat other members with respect at all times". Gary
Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #8

My garage is being dug out next week and the foot print is 33x22 with a second story bed/bathroom and Cotton Inc is doing everything and they are putting 20"x6" footings w/rebar with 8" foundation walls. Yes - depending on the soil once they get down the 4' will determine if more is needed, but they didn't thinks so as the norm is usually 18"............

Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote