Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

footing for deck posts

Hey,
hope someone can help with this questions. We hired a contractor to do an addition ( against my better judgement, id usualy do this myself).

the augered 9 36" holes well below frost line for 6x6 posts. The plan all along was to pour footings and piers and install the post w/ simpson strong ties above grade.

first thing that went awry unknown to me was the guy put in just a few inches of bagged concrete....was suppose to be for the footing. I didn't like that and told them the footing needed to be 8".

So, they call a truck and poured 8+ inches of concrete in each hole.

two questions on this:

1) is there a problem pouring over the bagged concrete stuff initially put in each post hole?

2) it got damn cold after they poured these footings..low 20s. I checked several hours after pouring and didn't seem to be froze, then I put some straw over it. This was the first cold snap, so the ground is still pretty warm. Will this cause a problem?

backwaterdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

footing for deck posts

Start by going back and adding where you live to your profile please.
Makes a big differance where you live on some questions.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

footing for deck posts

oops, sorry bout that...I'm in central Illinois....Peoria, IL. thanks!
backwaterdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #4

footing for deck posts

The first time I saw a contractor put dry ready mix in a hole I did a double take but sure enough the concrete set up just fine. That stuff sucks up moisture as anyone who has ever kept it in the garage long enough can tell you. With the fact that he put 8 inches of good concrete on top, you should be fine.

I cannot really comment on the freezing issue as every situation is different. I've had to hammer out brand new concrete that froze even in ideal curing situations (burlap, plastic, blankets). It's all in the environment.

Lastly, I would keep a close eye on your contractor. He needs to remember that you are the one paying him and if a plan is in place and he or his guys do not follow it then there is an issue. Something like this may not be a big deal but what if he does his own thing down the road and you fail an inspection adding days and money to the contract?

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Steve_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

footing for deck posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwaterdogs View Post
Hey,
hope someone can help with this questions. We hired a contractor to do an addition ( against my better judgement, id usualy do this myself).

the augered 9 36" holes well below frost line for 6x6 posts. The plan all along was to pour footings and piers and install the post w/ simpson strong ties above grade.

first thing that went awry unknown to me was the guy put in just a few inches of bagged concrete....was suppose to be for the footing. I didn't like that and told them the footing needed to be 8".

So, they call a truck and poured 8+ inches of concrete in each hole.

two questions on this:

1) is there a problem pouring over the bagged concrete stuff initially put in each post hole?

NO

2) it got damn cold after they poured these footings..low 20s. I checked several hours after pouring and didn't seem to be froze, then I put some straw over it. This was the first cold snap, so the ground is still pretty warm. Will this cause a problem?
Absolutely not.....
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote