Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Are there any flowable self leveling concrete products I can use to fill up irregular size narrow cavities in concrete walls?

I want to do a rectangular recessed hole in my concrete wall.

I have opened up a rectangular hole (rectangular in the front, but irregular in the sides and back due to the web and edges of hollow blocks.

Now, I have cut and framed a "box" using 1/2" cement boards. The cement board box is then pushed into this hole and I used shims on four sides to level and secure it in place (sort of). However there is space to the two sides, top and bottom, and back of it. these spaces are narrow, only 1/2" to 3/4" wide, around the perimeter.

My friend said once I have level and shimmed the box I should just spray some construction foam into these spaces and let it expand and it should be "rock solid".

I am thinking a better way is to use a few pieces of scrap wood to cover the cervices on the front side, and inject/pour some concrete into the space. If there is a product that flows and can self level, I can just pour it in and it should fill up all the irregular spaces around the sides and back right?

Is there such a concrete product I can use?

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,631
Rewards Points: 16
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Grout is what you are describing----it is used to fill voids ---

Are you making a tiled niche ? If so--low expanding foam will do---blue can (window and door)

Then waterproof it well using a paint on waterproofing like Red Guard or Hydro Ban

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,853
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quikrete has a grout product that may be of benefit in your application.

http://www.quikrete.com/productlines...isionGrout.asp
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,549
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


+1 to what oh'mike said,depending on how much you need, bagged Quikcrete will work just fine also.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Grout is what you are describing----it is used to fill voids ---

Are you making a tiled niche ? If so--low expanding foam will do---blue can (window and door)

Then waterproof it well using a paint on waterproofing like Red Guard or Hydro Ban
Yes. But I wanted to fully secure the cement board box in the current cavity. I feel better if it's secured by grout instead of foam.

Once completed I will be using Schluter membrane over everything.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Quikrete has a grout product that may be of benefit in your application.

http://www.quikrete.com/productlines...isionGrout.asp
Will this product have enough flow properties to fill the cavities under, behind and to the sides without having to compress or stir mechanically?

I read the install guide and it says this:

A. Forms must be water tight, strong, properly braced, and properly coated.
B. Allow a minimum clearance of 2 inches (50 mm) between forms and baseplate for grout entry.
C. Allow a minimum grout head of 6 inches (150 mm).
D. Slope form on placing side to assist in grout movement and to prevent trapping air.
E. Allow 1 inch (25mm) horizontal clearance and 1 inch (25 mm) vertical clearance for height above bottom of baseplate.
F. Provide venting of forms to avoid entrapment of air.


I am planning to seal off all the edges from the front. Then open a cell on the concrete block directly above. Punch a hole on the bottom of that cell, then pour in the flowable grout. I am hoping the grout will flow to the cell below, and fill up all the empty spaces?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: atl & hilton head
Posts: 3,192
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


1st it began as a conc wall so where'd the block cavity come from ?

your directions are for horizontal placement ( grout plates ) so you'll have to make some changes,,, howzabout making a box smaller than your opening then use tapcons securing the box to the blocks,,, fill w/hydraulic & be done w/it OR, as previously suggested, use the foam-in-a-can

we install steel-reinforced grouted wall pins to strengthen foundation block walls that have moved ' IN ' from plumb however we use a manual grout pump,,, pouring it makes a mess & you lose about 25% of the mtl.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,853
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
Will this product have enough flow properties to fill the cavities under, behind and to the sides without having to compress or stir mechanically?

I read the install guide and it says this:

A. Forms must be water tight, strong, properly braced, and properly coated.
B. Allow a minimum clearance of 2 inches (50 mm) between forms and baseplate for grout entry.
C. Allow a minimum grout head of 6 inches (150 mm).
D. Slope form on placing side to assist in grout movement and to prevent trapping air.
E. Allow 1 inch (25mm) horizontal clearance and 1 inch (25 mm) vertical clearance for height above bottom of baseplate.
F. Provide venting of forms to avoid entrapment of air.


I am planning to seal off all the edges from the front. Then open a cell on the concrete block directly above. Punch a hole on the bottom of that cell, then pour in the flowable grout. I am hoping the grout will flow to the cell below, and fill up all the empty spaces?
Being A. in the instructions say forms must be water tight I would think it flows well.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing this project but I'm suspecting venting air may possibly be important since air has difficulty exiting through the same opening as being poured through. Common casting terminology - sprue hole and vent hole.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Being A. in the instructions say forms must be water tight I would think it flows well.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing this project but I'm suspecting venting air may possibly be important since air has difficulty exiting through the same opening as being poured through. Common casting terminology - sprue hole and vent hole.
I am reading the same, water tight probably implies it will seek out voids to spread into.

I know the description is hard to visualize. So let me try this.

Imagine you have a dresser with one single drawer. The drawer is in the closed position. I want to open a hole on top of the dresser and pour in this mix, and I am hoping the poured mix will fill in all the space inside the dresser, all the way around the top, bottom and sides of the drawer.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,853
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Excellent description. If there is even a slight difference in elevation of the "dresser top" I would think a vent hole would be advantageous on the high end even if it was no more than a 1/4" hole and possibly even if the top is level.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


I tried looking for the recommended Quikrete Non-Shrink Precision Grout at local home centers, no one carries it. But I found this.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...specifications

SAKRETE 50 lb. Non-Shrink Construction Grout





Here is the installation guide.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...6d138b967e.pdf

Desired Grout Consistency:
Flowable (Pumping Consistency), 50 lbs. (22.7kg) Grout, approximately 1.1
Gallons Water (4.2 L)
Plastic (Trowel Consistency), 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) Grout, approximately 1.0 Gallon
Water (3.8 L)

Using the flowable consistency guideline, I mixed a small batch to test. I end up with something the consistency of honey. I poured that into a plastic flower pot with some debris in the bottom. However it did not self level, may be the surface tension or viscosity? It didn't seek the lowest level like pouring syrup on pancakes it sort of flow a little but did not fill in all the bottom cervices as I had hoped. Should I further dilute more than what's spece'd?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


By the way, are there any tricks to make it easier to remove the forms after a concrete pour? Do you paint or coat the surface of wood form so it comes off easily when concrete is dry enough?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,549
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I tried looking for the recommended Quikrete Non-Shrink Precision Grout at local home centers, no one carries it. But I found this.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...specifications

SAKRETE 50 lb. Non-Shrink Construction Grout





Here is the installation guide.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...6d138b967e.pdf

Desired Grout Consistency:
Flowable (Pumping Consistency), 50 lbs. (22.7kg) Grout, approximately 1.1
Gallons Water (4.2 L)
Plastic (Trowel Consistency), 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) Grout, approximately 1.0 Gallon
Water (3.8 L)

Using the flowable consistency guideline, I mixed a small batch to test. I end up with something the consistency of honey. I poured that into a plastic flower pot with some debris in the bottom. However it did not self level, may be the surface tension or viscosity? It didn't seek the lowest level like pouring syrup on pancakes it sort of flow a little but did not fill in all the bottom cervices as I had hoped. Should I further dilute more than what's spece'd?

Yes add small amounts of water until you get it to flow like you want it too,just be sure you keep track of how much total water you use.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sarasota,Florida
Posts: 1,549
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
By the way, are there any tricks to make it easier to remove the forms after a concrete pour? Do you paint or coat the surface of wood form so it comes off easily when concrete is dry enough?



Yes form oil is whats used,but i doubt you'll find any in small amounts,but you can use a 5 wt.motor oil or mineral oil would work also,just don't have it dripping wet with oil,probably need a couple coats.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
World's Tallest Midget
 
Mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twisp, WA
Posts: 726
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flowable self leveling concrete?


Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
By the way, are there any tricks to make it easier to remove the forms after a concrete pour? Do you paint or coat the surface of wood form so it comes off easily when concrete is dry enough?
Mop 'n' Glo also works pretty well.

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concrete Basics for the DIYer Mort Concrete, Stone & Masonry 7 11-22-2012 11:19 AM
leveling concrete subfloors for engineered wood installation robismyname Flooring 0 10-21-2011 01:01 AM
Leveling a concrete slab floor RICHARD HARO Building & Construction 3 03-05-2011 09:30 PM
concrete leveling grainbelt Flooring 5 12-12-2009 08:41 PM
leveling concrete floor Cyrus Flooring 5 10-15-2007 03:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.