"Floating" On Wet Concrete - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

"Floating" on Wet Concrete

I am in the process of building a permanent telescope pier and the pier itself is now done. It is basically a 3' long, 8 inch steel pipe that stands vertically (welded) on a flat steel plate (1 foot square).

The pier will be J-bolted to the pier pad (concrete) and it would be handy to just set the pier/bolts on top of the wet concrete and let the pier itself kind of 'find its home' on top of the pier pad. The pier assembly weighs right at 100 pounds.

What is going to happen when I set this pier assembly on top of wet concrete (100 pounds spread over 1 sq. foot)? Is it going to sink down and down or will it pretty much 'sit on top'? The pier pad itself is basically a cube that is 2.5' x 2.5' x 2.5' (roughly). It will be around 3500 to 4000 psi concrete (and will contain a goodly number of brick sized rocks whose only purpose is to reduce the volume of concrete to be mixed).

Thanks.

dave

Advertisement

DaveLeeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,158

You want to inbed just the jbolts in the wet concrete,if you try setting the whole thing on the wet concrete,it's going to sink to a certain degree,and may tip one way or the other.

You do have holes drilled into the steel plate,do you not??

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
You want to inbed just the jbolts in the wet concrete,if you try setting the whole thing on the wet concrete,it's going to sink to a certain degree,and may tip one way or the other.

You do have holes drilled into the steel plate,do you not??
The holes are drilled in the plate (one in each corner). I can set the J bolts with a wood template. I just wasn't looking forward to trying to wrestle a 105 pound pier assembly around trying to line up four holes/hour J bolts.

dave
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 538

Just the bolts. If you wait until the concrete has set up enough so the pier won't sink, it won't be wet enough to consolidate around the bolts. And if you put it in there wet, it'll sink.

Just make a cardboard template and use that to locate the bolts.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Can you use a plywood template of the base plate? Attach the J bolts to the plywood and wet set it when you pour the mud- remove the plywood after it cures then set the permanent plate.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

A little slow on my posting...
You could use expansion bolts too. Drill them in after the mud cures
Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

couldn't you just drill the setup concrete and use epoxy to set your anchors (threaded rods not j-bolts).

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,158

[QUOTE=DaveLeeNC;1143252]The holes are drilled in the plate (one in each corner). I can set the J bolts with a wood template. I just wasn't looking forward to trying to wrestle a 105 pound pier assembly around trying to line up four holes/hour J bolts.

Can you use a plywood template of the base plate? Attach the J bolts to the plywood and wet set it when you pour the mud- remove the plywood after it cures then set the permanent plate.

As eplumber said is the easiest way,just use a nut on the top and bottom of the j bolts,with the plywood in between.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

When all is said and done I guess it is a trade-off between wrestling a 105 pound pier assembly onto J bolts vs. a fair amount of drilling. Not being familiar with the using epoxy in concrete I'll probably go the J bolt/plywood template (wrestling) path.

dave
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 750

One thing I've learned when doing work like this in industrial situations is to leave one bolt about 1 inch higher. You can catch this one 1st and use it for a pivot point to line up the other 3 (or many more in industrial situations). It makes it much easier to line everything up.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote