Flashing Penetrations In Preparation For Brick. - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,274

Flashing Penetrations in preparation for brick.

I posted this in the masonry section and got zero responses. Maybe that was the wrong subforum?

I'm building an addition that will have a full brick veneer exterior (not thin brick). I've found lots of info about flashing windows, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]doors[/COLOR][/COLOR], ledges for brick but nothing about other penetrations.

I'm uncertain about how to prepare the following penetrations before the brick mason arrives: dryer vent, water spigot and A/C lines. I might also be having a propane line put in. That would likely be a 1" black iron pipe through the wall that a regulator will mount to just outside of the brick wall.

So how are these pentrations set up, sealed or flashed before the brick masons arrives?

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Lines are removed, brick gets put up, once it's dry new holes get drilled for the piping. Silicone caulking goes around pipes.
He should be able to pre cut the brick around where the dryer vent is going if he can see the 4" hole where it was.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

You're leaving an inch of space between the brick and the sheathing and planning on drain holes, right? Flashing penetrations in brick walls isn't as sensitive a matter as, say, flashing a window or a chimney because of these measures. You definitely want to try to keep water from penetrating, but if it does (in small amounts), it's not as serious a problem as in other situations. That's why something as simple as caulk is sufficient.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Silicone, caulk, and flashing tape (tape from bottom first & lap over as you go up) are the most direct ways. If you want to do this ahead of time, be sure to confirm with the mason the exact depth of the brick he intends to lay to. This will likely require an actual material sample, as most brick are laid at more than 4" from the backwall.

As mentioned above, if you're building this with a 1" min. airspace with weeps and a way to keep the mortar from damming at the base, these penetrations aren't a huge concern.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote