Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

flashing brickledge corners

i have a 4" brickledge and had z flashing made to extend from the sheathing to then overlap the top of icf block. I am not installing brick, but rather xps foam. my question is what is the correct way to overlap the flashing at both an exterior and an interior corner?. looking at it i can see there are several options. i thought it would be best to find out what the best way is before i start with the tinsnips. thanks.

mtmtntop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You mean "overlap the flashing on an inside corner and outside corner"?

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thats what i mean. do you just cut through the vertical edge that attaches to the sheathing on one side of the corner and run the other piece over the top? I assume you put flashing mastic between the two pieces of flashing? what made me wonder about this is there will always be a slight gap on the piece that attaches to the sheathing right at the corner.
mtmtntop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Try this document;
http://www.z-led.com/downloads/z_led...d_aluflash.pdf

On pages 15/16 there are drawings of the types of flashing you need. Its a UK firm, where we use masonry for inner and outer skins of external walls, but there will doubtless be something similar manufactured for US building methods.
Show the diagram to a builders merchant and they will know what you need.

Last edited by tony.g; 07-22-2012 at 05:28 PM.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Well in most cases in the US, neoprene or PVC rubber flashing is used for brick etc. The proper way to flash outside corner would be to fold it so it turns the corner and is continuous. Same for the inside corner. Run one side all the way to the inside corner, fold it strategically, fasten it at the top where it laps. We also use butyl rubber flashing which is sticky on one side so it attaches without any holes put in it. Mainly for commercial tho. GL
TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote