Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

fixing this botched concrete walkway

Last summer I wanted to repair the front walk at my house. It had a couple of large cracks and resulting deep depressions - hazardous walking and difficult snow shoveling. So, being disabled and poor I hired my usual handyman on his word that he'd done a lot of concrete over his 40 years of work life. As you can see it didn't work out very well cosmetically. I didn't expect 'professional' results, but nothing this bad.

It was botched two ways. First, I just ordered some bags delivered and he started applying it before I knew there were 2 colors available, this 'white' I got and the 'grey' I already had. Oh well, white would be fine. Second, when I asked him if he wanted an empty gallon jug to measure the water as directed, he said no, don't bother, he'd rather do it by eye. Mistake, eh?

The difference in colors was only very subtle until a few months went by. The runny watery look on the front section wasn't so bad either, it stopped at the line, until a few months.

I want this fixed cosmetically. I'm not concerned that the job lasts decades. I'd be happy enough using some kind of concrete 'paint' or topping treatment. To minimize labor I'd prefer not to have to build a new wood frame. "Starting over" is not an option. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
fixing this botched concrete walkway-botched-concrete-walk-small.jpg  

Henerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rustoleum Restore Paint

I use it on alot of spalled/krappy concrete.

Comes in two grades called 10x and 4X. 10X is a more textured appearance.

Comes in most all colors.

Has to be put on with very consistant application... as brush marks verse a roller will have a material looking difference because of texturing.

Available at HD, believe SW also makes the same type stuff.

It is advertized/marketed for krappy decks, but it is excellent on concrete.

(I don't like it on decks, mainly because of difficult and non-consistant application.)

Best

Henerey (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #3

A little advice. Next time you hire a handy man, ask for references! Then contact the references to see if they will let you come and look at his work!
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #4

I'd looked into Restore for some ratty old decking, about 800sq'. The price was too steep for my budget. Let's see, I've got maybe 45sq' to cover, i.e. 2 gallons of the 10x. That's $45 at HD, plus their special roller for an extra $10, so $55. So... maybe... thanks.

Rust-Oleum Restore Deck & Concrete Restore FAQ

"When applied properly, the film thickness of Restore will be ten times thicker than regular paint.

- One, 1-gallon can of Deck & Concrete Restore 10X will cover approximately 25 square feet with two coats.

- One, 2-gallon kit of Deck & Concrete Restore 10X will cover approximately 50 square feet with two coats.

- One, 4-gallon pail of Deck & Concrete Restore 10X will cover approximately 100 square feet with two coats.

* Two coats are required for an even, well protected finish."
Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfillwizard View Post
A little advice. Next time you hire a handy man, ask for references! Then contact the references to see if they will let you come and look at his work!
Absolutely, thanks. I was only going on this guy's previous honesty and reliability. For lawn and snow work.

This walkway was an adjunct job to him also repainting my old 800sq' front porch. I'm really not a picky person but I had to go over his progress every couple of hours as I discovered obvious spots he'd missed. I paid him by the hours at the end of each day. As the months have passed I've found a lot more he missed. He was cheap to pay but...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 20

I would not "paint" the concrete. Since you said you have snow, you obviously live in a cold climate. The paint will peel or scrape from snow shoveling.
A concrete stain would give better results.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/products-stains/
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Thanks Joed, yes, Massachusetts. I'll look into stain. Although my front porch is painted and I do shovel it. The paint lasts a long time. I wonder what Mountain (above) would say, he's posting from Colorado.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #8

Henerey,

My dad always said,"You get what you pay for!"
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2

DO NOT paint it with ANYTHING if you do all your options just went down the tubes, you can use a modified polymer topping , only problem is you need someone you can trust to do the job, this product or one similar to it can be applied with a trowel or a squeegee, it's not rocket science just someone who cares to do a decent job.

http://www.ardexamericas.com/en-us/P...es/CDFINE.aspx
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by landfillwizard View Post
My dad always said,"You get what you pay for!"
I know just what you mean, it can also be said you wish you got what you paid for
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
DO NOT paint it with ANYTHING if you do all your options just went down the tubes, you can use a modified polymer topping ,
It's interesting that 3 quite knowledgeable folks advise 3 different things - paint, stain, and this polymer-cement.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henerey View Post
It's interesting that 3 quite knowledgeable folks advise 3 different things - paint, stain, and this polymer-cement.
A minister I used to know had a saying that fits this.

"Opinions are like armpits, everyone has a couple and most of them stink."

I am not trying to aggravate anyone here, just adding a new thought. .

I agree that is an ugly walkway, have you thought about grinding a little of it off to even it up, and see how that looks.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #13

understand - my dad's 96 & won't even buy green bananas anymore

overlay's out along w/restore & sher-wms' stuff,,, for your budget, conc deck paint's all there is avail,,, restore might be a better product since rustoleum bought it

irc
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #14

I used Rustoleum Restore and had gorgeous results. I live in upstate NY and it survived our crappy winter just fine. Colors are not true in the store, just so you know.
Attached Thumbnails
fixing this botched concrete walkway-before-2.jpg   fixing this botched concrete walkway-after-2.jpg   fixing this botched concrete walkway-close-up.jpg  

Whimsy101 is offline   Reply With Quote