Fixing Bad Patch Job - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 514

fixing bad patch job

I saw cut my basement concrete to install a floor drain. I trusted someone to pour the concrete and they totally F'd it up. It looks like they just screeded it off with a 2x4 and never floated it. Its very rough and has some pretty high/low spots. Also i cut a 4'x4' area for the drain, so it could be sloped in. There was a temporary piece that screwed in to the drain that was supposed to be screeded to. Well he pulled that piece out, so around the drain has WAY too much slop and is about an inch low after the finished drain cover is installed. How should i go about fixing this?

Grind down high spots and skim coat with mortar? Or would i need to use a special coating compound? What about around the drain where it will be about an inch thick?

Advertisement

jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

fixing bad patch job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
I saw cut my basement concrete to install a floor drain. I trusted someone to pour the concrete and they totally F'd it up. It looks like they just screeded it off with a 2x4 and never floated it. Its very rough and has some pretty high/low spots. Also i cut a 4'x4' area for the drain, so it could be sloped in. There was a temporary piece that screwed in to the drain that was supposed to be screeded to. Well he pulled that piece out, so around the drain has WAY too much slop and is about an inch low after the finished drain cover is installed. How should i go about fixing this?

Grind down high spots and skim coat with mortar? Or would i need to use a special coating compound? What about around the drain where it will be about an inch thick?

Break it out and start over,and if you want it done right do it yourself.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
liscenced electrician

fixing bad patch job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Break it out and start over,and if you want it done right do it yourself.

i don't think thats necessary at all. Its a basement, and its pretty rough looking to begin with. The patch job is just over the top though
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #4

fixing bad patch job

Quote:
i don't think thats necessary at all. Its a basement, and its pretty rough looking to begin with. The patch job is just over the top though

Well,the "patch" you describe is not going to fix your problem,but hey it's your basement,if you don't think it's necessary so be it.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
liscenced electrician

fixing bad patch job

Well your not much help........... I might bust up the concrete around the drain. Since 1" is kind of an awkward thickness. Too thick for patching products and too thin for concrete. The rest i'll probably use something like this

http://www.ctscement.com/SkimCoat.asp
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

fixing bad patch job

Quote:
Well your not much help........... I might bust up the concrete around the drain. Since 1" is kind of an awkward thickness. Too thick for patching products and too thin for concrete. The rest i'll probably use something like this

http://www.ctscement.com/SkimCoat.asp
I gave you the best answer your going to get, you ask for help and then complain about the answer that's your problem,go ahead and do it your way ,and you'll be back next year wanting to know how to fix your patch.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

fixing bad patch job

A few pics will help considerably ... Each person has a different idea of what looks good or bad. Are you saying the area around the drain is too low or too high? If too high then probably best to jack hammer it out and do it again but then this is with trying to imagine what it looks like versus seeing what it looks like.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzai For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
liscenced electrician

fixing bad patch job

the saw cut that is about 20' long is just really rough. Around the drain is an inch too low
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Renovations contractor

fixing bad patch job

There are specific types of concrete sold by the bag for thinner applications such as yours ... It will say on the bag what the intended thickness is. Make sure to use a bonding primer first to bond "old" concrete to new. For the larger area you could pour a self leveling compound ... Also sold by the bag. This goes on really thin and finds its own level ... We use it on basements and bathrooms a lot do we have a level playing field to start from.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Renovations contractor

fixing bad patch job

A useful tip for applying new concrete over old for small patches is to use white glue as the mixing agent instead of water. Use this trick often and works very well.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
liscenced electrician

fixing bad patch job

I didnt think self leveler would be hard enough. I was under the impression it was meant to be covered by some sort of floor covering like tile or linoleum
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
Renovations contractor

fixing bad patch job

I assumed in a finished basement you would be installing some sort of flooring. What is the purpose of the space going to be ?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
liscenced electrician

fixing bad patch job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
I assumed in a finished basement you would be installing some sort of flooring. What is the purpose of the space going to be ?

storage and laundry room? Its not a finished space. The walls are sheetrocked. I might tile it some day, but for now it is staying with concrete. The concrete is fairly rough right now, it has like a sandy roughness to it. But it is pretty flat. The patch on the other hand has a foot print in it and thats not even close to being the worst part. I would take a picture but its currently 4 hours away from me. Hence the reason i had someone else pour the concrete
Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #14
liscenced electrician

fixing bad patch job

i just wanted to update this and say that i fixed it and it worked well. I used a product from a company called "tamms" called tamms patch ii. I ground the high spots down. This took a while. Then thoroughly cleaned the area. Swept, vacuumed and sponged. Then i used a paint brush and painted the whole are with latex bonding agent. Then i poured the tamms patch on there floated it out best i could. Its by no means 100% perfect (because im not a pro at floating concrete, but its good enough now.
Attached Thumbnails
fixing bad patch job-imag0486.jpg   fixing bad patch job-imag0479.jpg   fixing bad patch job-imag0482.jpg   fixing bad patch job-imag0483.jpg   fixing bad patch job-after.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (09-20-2012)