Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

Fireplace surround and hearth tiling help

I recently removed my mantel and the the tiles in the fireplace surround and hearth as they were really out dated. I have already re drywalled the area and am planning to pick up the materials tomorrow. The tiles are 13X13 ceramic with diagonal embossed lines in the back. Sort of looks like extruded metal. I am guessing to help with adhesion.

I'm curious as to what I should be using to install the tiles and the metal edge trim. Should I use mastic as it is in a dry area? Or is thinset my best bet? If so, is there a prefered type? Thanks in advance!

Oh, the old hearth tiles popped up really easily and appeared to have a thin layer of what looked like PL400 on the back of them.

rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

Fireplace surround and hearth tiling help

What type of metal edge trim are you referring too?

Mastic will work just fine, or even a high strength adhesive. Since these tiles will never really endure any weathering, anything will do. Once its grouted the tiles are there for life. You should find the most in-expensive product for this job.

TRUEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote