DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Concrete, Stone & Masonry (
-   -   Fireplace question... (

Alan 12-08-2012 03:54 PM

Fireplace question...
I have a tube in the back of my fireplace that extends to the exterior. It looks like it's got a rotating portion on the inside that may allow it to open or close.... It doesn't seem to move though. The last blowing rain we got found the inside of the fireplace a little wet, probably because the thing is wide open. I'm sure i'm losing a good amount of heat out of it.

Should it close? is a fireplace tool supposed to be able to turn it?

Daniel Holzman 12-08-2012 04:37 PM

That may be a tube for outside air to the fireplace. It can be turned off to keep air out when you are not using the fireplace.

joecaption 12-08-2012 08:42 PM

It's for make up air to support the flame instead of creating a negative pressure in the home and sucking air in from the other rooms making them colder.

Alan 12-09-2012 06:58 PM

It looks like a cylinder inside of a cylinder with holes in it similar to the top of a weber barbecue I guess. I'm assuming that it should rotate then, and should be able to do so with a fireplace tool? I shouldn't really have to put a huge wrench on it... maybe i'll soak it in WD-40.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1