Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Fireplace/direct vent

Hi Guys I have an unfinished basement at my cottage, 4ft concrete then a 4ft wooden "knee wall" I had planned on using a direct vent gas insert and then framing up a frame and floor to ceiling chimney and covering it with a stone veneer. Do I need fireproof drywall or would plywood do? Any suggestions on what to use for the stone veneer? I notice some of them screw to the wall, others use what looks like Mastick and some use mortar to fill the seams, others didn't. Starting from scratch, so, I welcome all input or suggestions! Thanks! Michael

n2omichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 590

Fireplace/direct vent

The cosmetics are the easy part.

You should decide on a fireplace and get the manufacturers install manual for the clearances. Then check with your insurance carrier to see if they allow a gas insert (most do). Then check with your local ahj and see what they allow you to do.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #3

Fireplace/direct vent

I have checked with insurance and township, I am good. As far as stove goes it will be a basic insert, nothing fancy. There is a store near me that sells reman and reconditioned stoves with warranties. Just looking for tips on actual "chimney" construction, what materials or brands work best, easiest way to frame the chimney, stuff like that.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,136

Fireplace/direct vent

I assume this a a zero clearance gas FP, so all the framing can be lumber. The sheating could probably be plywood, but drywall or Durock would work as well. As a mason, I'd personally choose an adhered veneer (Cultured Stone, real thin stone, etc..) vs. most of the other options as it tends to look more realistic. Even many types of cultured stone look fake IMO. Here's one of the manufacturer's I prefer:

http://www.dutchqualitystone.com/cat...on/fireplaces/
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

Fireplace/direct vent

Thanks VERY much!

That's exactly the kind of info I was lookin for! I appreciate it, have a GREAT NewYears!